POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Stunned!!!! Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:32:11 EDT (-0400)
  Stunned!!!! (Message 65 to 74 of 124)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Stunned!!!!
Date: 27 Jul 2014 00:20:35
Message: <53d47e13$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 27 Jul 2014 02:29:38 +0200, clipka wrote:

> Am 27.07.2014 00:40, schrieb Jim Henderson:

>>> Logic and reason is something for scared wimps without Strong
>>> Faith(TM).
>>
>> We just need to believe *harder*. ;)
>
> I do believe that it's hard to believe... does that suffice? ;-)

LOL

I'm with you there. :)

Jim

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 27 Jul 2014 00:44:03
Message: <53d48393$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/25/2014 9:47 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Fri, 25 Jul 2014 07:00:22 -0700, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>
>> On 7/25/2014 12:10 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>>> Well, there are a lot of things that didn't become an issue for the
>>> general public, partly because Romney wouldn't really talk about what
>>> he believes or what his church practices.  I may not have liked him as
>>> a candidate or as a person, but I can respect him for saying "that's
>>> not what this election is about" and refusing to talk about his faith.
>>> If he had been elected, I actually think he would have not had his
>>> faith be front and center, because he didn't want it in the spotlight.
>>> He considered it to be a very personal thing, and not relevant to his
>>> policy choices.
>>>
>> On that note - what the hell where his policies exactly, I never noted
>> him actually pinning any down, really, unless, "I picked a Tea Party nut
>> to replace me, should my brain melt down while trying to figure out what
>> I actually believe this week, and the VP has to take over."? lol
>
> Yeah, that was also a big problem with him - his stated policies and past
> policy decisions didn't line up very well, and he was all over the board
> on what he was for.  Most of his campaigning was based on "I'm against
> what Obama's doing".
>
> Pretty glad the electorate didn't fall for *that*, even though I'm not
> very happy with Obama's stand on intellectual property and privacy
> issues.  Right now, neither party is making me very happy.
>
> Jim

They are the same party now. Well, ok.. maybe there are "some"
differences still, but, sadly most of those are in the fringes, it
seems. The real liberals are either hanging on by fingernails, or
quitting. The real conservatives, which is to say those who still think
there is value in what they believed 50 years ago are, again, hanging on
by their fingernails, or, like the one recent guy, jumping to the
Democrats, because their current leadership is too insane.

I look at it this way. If there truly was a real difference between
them, on the scale both side's talking heads claim, then jumping ship
between them should require a monumental shift in views. Something on
the scale of divine revelations, or something. When they can change
sides purely based on the fact that their side has annoyed them, or that
they elected someone they don't approve of (like some of the Dems that
jumped ship the moment that Obama was elected), then... how much
difference is there? At least one person I know has made a good argument
for Hillary being little more than an old style Christian conservative -
i.e., nothing even close to liberal. Personally, I see the Democrats as
being the Republicans, as they existed, during the Reagan era. Not
great, but not horrible. The Republicans, on the other hand.. have
become the Protestants, complaining that the church has grown corrupt,
and needs to be reformed, through a strict list of silly idiocies, and
unyielding ideals. Its the difference between falling in the rapids of a
river, and being hit with a flash flood, while wandering a dry river
bed. That one isn't obviously dangerous, until it kills you doesn't mean
much. Me.. I would rather find the damn bridge, assuming either party
leaves one standing long enough to use it, or doesn't sell it, one way
or another, to the corporate world.

Sadly, when deciding which poisonous snake to step around, the one with
the obvious rattle is much easier to avoid, and.. that still means
voting Democrat. The only other one I have seen that looks semi-sane
might be the so called "Green Party". But.. I seriously suspect they
have a bit of "Tea Party" thinking in them, and some of the same
delusional thinking of the US Libertarians too - i.e. shift as much
political power as possible from the fed, hand it over to a lot of
smaller special interests, such as state governments, who often have no
clear picture of things on a larger scale, then just wish really hard
that things like education will fix themselves, once its all been taken
from the people that can set "national" standards, and instead to the
people that can set up petty, selfish and self serving standards for
them. The effect we see with the, "There are no state fire codes, and
its illegal to make local ones.", nonsense that blew up half a town, and
leveled two, thankfully empty, schools, in Texas, and in the stupid,
"Lets test people, but not set any actual real standards for how
teaching is done, what will be in the texts, or anything else
meaningful.", Every Child Left Behind idiocies.

What we do well nationally, they are trying to take apart, and both
parties are either doing it, or letting it happen, just to different
things. The things we should be doing nationally, neither party wants us
to do nationally. And, many things we shouldn't be doing nationally, we
can't get them to let go of, so that people with a clearer idea of the
problems can actually solve them.

--
Commander Vimes: "You take a bunch of people who don't seem any
different from you and me, but when you add them all together you get

Post a reply to this message