POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Second question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:20:55 EDT (-0400)
  Second question (Message 49 to 58 of 78)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: Second question
Date: 10 Jul 2014 03:29:16
Message: <53be40cc$1@news.povray.org>
On 9-7-2014 13:45, Stephen wrote:
>>  From this whole exercise I must conclude that the "Clean Desk" movement
>> has gotten nowhere at all :-)
>

> I don't know about that. From what I've read here everyone seems quite
> regulated. Mine is so cluttered it is like an archilogical dig finding things. I
> have even misplaced a dwarf wolly mamoth, somewhere.

The Clean Desk Policy was very strict. Except for a screen, a keyboard,
a mouse and a phone, nothing was allowed after working hours. It meant
you had to re-create your own junk every morning and clean it up before
leaving. The bright idea (for which managers are sometimes known) behind
the concept was that a "cluttered desk revealed a cluttered mind" etc
etc. I suspect that the ideal was a permanently pristine desk during
working hours.

Ah, but you know all that I am sure.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

>> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>>>  From this whole exercise I must conclude that the "Clean Desk" movement
>>> has gotten nowhere at all :-)
>>

>> I don't know about that. From what I've read here everyone seems quite
>> regulated. Mine is so cluttered it is like an archilogical dig finding
>> things. I
>> have even misplaced a dwarf wolly mamoth, somewhere.
>
> The Clean Desk Policy was very strict. Except for a screen, a keyboard,
> a mouse and a phone, nothing was allowed after working hours. It meant
> you had to re-create your own junk every morning and clean it up before
> leaving. The bright idea (for which managers are sometimes known) behind
> the concept was that a "cluttered desk revealed a cluttered mind" etc
> etc. I suspect that the ideal was a permanently pristine desk during
> working hours.
>
> Ah, but you know all that I am sure.
>
> Thomas

At my work, the "clean desk policy" was to prevent confidential
information from falling into the wrong hands, which makes sense at
first, but quickly veered into GATTACA levels of paranoia, since going
through someone's rolodeck might reveal which customers and which
suppliers she's working with and may give a competitor information about
deals she's pursuing (assuming, of course, that the janitor is really a
competitor in disguise), so they enforced rules such as "no telephone
numbers must be visible" - which meant that depending on how anal
retentive the person doing the evening workplace audit was, you could
get written up for having the city phonebook on your bookshelf, or a
business card from your dentist.

On 10/07/2014 8:29 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:

> The Clean Desk Policy was very strict. Except for a screen, a keyboard,
> a mouse and a phone, nothing was allowed after working hours. It meant
> you had to re-create your own junk every morning and clean it up before
> leaving. The bright idea (for which managers are sometimes known) behind
> the concept was that a "cluttered desk revealed a cluttered mind" etc
> etc. I suspect that the ideal was a permanently pristine desk during
> working hours.
>
> Ah, but you know all that I am sure.

I've always said that a clean and empty desk is a sign of a troubled
mind. :-)

Having said that and remembering all of my previous replies. My desk at
work is generally empty. This last week or so I have been working on
spec-ing workshop papers so I have to have printouts to mark up and give
to the developers (scanned). But initially I create them in Visio then
draw on the printouts to label them.

--
Regards
     Stephen

I solemnly promise to kick the next angle, I see.

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 10 Jul 2014 13:28:09
Message: <53BECD11.4040100@gmail.com>
On 10-7-2014 9:29, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 9-7-2014 13:45, Stephen wrote:
>> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>>>  From this whole exercise I must conclude that the "Clean Desk" movement
>>> has gotten nowhere at all :-)
>>

>> I don't know about that. From what I've read here everyone seems quite
>> regulated. Mine is so cluttered it is like an archilogical dig finding
>> things. I
>> have even misplaced a dwarf wolly mamoth, somewhere.
>
> The Clean Desk Policy was very strict. Except for a screen, a keyboard,
> a mouse and a phone, nothing was allowed after working hours. It meant
> you had to re-create your own junk every morning and clean it up before
> leaving. The bright idea (for which managers are sometimes known) behind
> the concept was that a "cluttered desk revealed a cluttered mind" etc
> etc. I suspect that the ideal was a permanently pristine desk during
> working hours.

obligaory einstein quote:
http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/10805-if-a-cluttered-desk-is-a-sign-of-a-cluttered

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 10 Jul 2014 23:38:50
Message: <53bf5c4a@news.povray.org>
andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> obligaory einstein quote:
> http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/10805-if-a-cluttered-desk-is-a-sign-of-a-cluttered

"Over half of quotes out there are misattributed." - Mark Twain

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 11 Jul 2014 03:16:48
Message: <53bf8f60@news.povray.org>
On 11-7-2014 5:38, Warp wrote:
> andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> obligaory einstein quote:
>> http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/10805-if-a-cluttered-desk-is-a-sign-of-a-cluttered
>
> "Over half of quotes out there are misattributed." - Mark Twain

Ah yes! the Einstein quote! But /your/ quote is false! see, 6th image
from the top: http://energyquotes.blogspot.nl/2013/05/einstein-quotes.html

I shall believe Mark Twain. Can you imagine Einstein with a clean desk?

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 11 Jul 2014 13:40:51
Message: <53C02183.2070602@gmail.com>
On 11-7-2014 5:38, Warp wrote:
> andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> obligaory einstein quote:
>> http://www.goodreads.com/quotes/10805-if-a-cluttered-desk-is-a-sign-of-a-cluttered
>
> "Over half of quotes out there are misattributed." - Mark Twain

obligatory lincoln quote:
http://cheezburger.com/4777806080

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Jul 2014 18:53:11
Message: <53c06ad7$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 09:12:56 +0200, Thomas de Groot wrote:

> On 9-7-2014 20:48, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 09 Jul 2014 09:53:31 -0400, Francois Labreque wrote:
>>
>>> Le 2014-07-08 23:05, Jim Henderson a écrit :
>>> If you've answered yes to any of the questions above, the item now
>>> belongs to the cat and any attempt to reclaim it will prove to be
>>> futile.
>>
>> That explains what happens when a cat lies down on your lap,
>> certainly...We call it "cat stapling," but I've also heard it called
>> "feline paralysis."
>
> And there is no cure.

We have crafted one or two exceptions, but yeah, generally, there is no
cure. :)

Which is a challenge for me, because I'm actually quite allergic to them.

> One of our cats found it quite normal at night to sleep on my chest,
> front paws on both sides of my neck, snoring in my ears, saliva dripping
> in my neck. The worst however, was when he was dreaming...

...and because of my allergies, they don't sleep in our room at night. :)

Jim

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Jul 2014 18:53:48
Message: <53c06afc$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 10 Jul 2014 09:29:10 +0200, Thomas de Groot wrote:

> "cluttered desk revealed a cluttered mind"

Except that a cluttered desk reveals an *active* mind. :)

Jim

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Jul 2014 18:55:40
Message: <53c06b6c$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 23:24:20 -0400, Jim Henderson wrote:

> On Sun, 06 Jul 2014 21:56:34 +0100, Doctor John wrote:

>>> Lots of stuff.
>>>
>>> Probably too much to enumerate, actually - and I need to clear some of
>>> it off, because I am getting some new gear next week - including a new
>>> 27" monitor for work.  I'm not sure exactly where I'm going to put it,
>>> because I hate to block the view I have to the north out my window.
>>>
>>> Jim
>>>

>> OK just some of the more unusual items.
>
> Green laser pointer, and a solar powered charger. :)
>
> Oh, and a stack of "Get Out of Hell Free" cards.

And now a Thunderbolt display and two Macbook Pros (one Retina, one not).

Well, you did say "some of the more unusual items", and I've not been
known as an Apple fan in the past, so it's quite unusual that I have
these items.  But they're for work. :)

Jim