POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Second question : Re: Second question Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:31:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Second question
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 10 Jul 2014 09:06:34
Message: <53be8fda$1@news.povray.org>

> On 9-7-2014 13:45, Stephen wrote:
>> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:
>>>  From this whole exercise I must conclude that the "Clean Desk" movement
>>> has gotten nowhere at all :-)
>>

>> I don't know about that. From what I've read here everyone seems quite
>> regulated. Mine is so cluttered it is like an archilogical dig finding
>> things. I
>> have even misplaced a dwarf wolly mamoth, somewhere.
>
> The Clean Desk Policy was very strict. Except for a screen, a keyboard,
> a mouse and a phone, nothing was allowed after working hours. It meant
> you had to re-create your own junk every morning and clean it up before
> leaving. The bright idea (for which managers are sometimes known) behind
> the concept was that a "cluttered desk revealed a cluttered mind" etc
> etc. I suspect that the ideal was a permanently pristine desk during
> working hours.
>
> Ah, but you know all that I am sure.
>
> Thomas

At my work, the "clean desk policy" was to prevent confidential
information from falling into the wrong hands, which makes sense at
first, but quickly veered into GATTACA levels of paranoia, since going
through someone's rolodeck might reveal which customers and which
suppliers she's working with and may give a competitor information about
deals she's pursuing (assuming, of course, that the janitor is really a
competitor in disguise), so they enforced rules such as "no telephone
numbers must be visible" - which meant that depending on how anal
retentive the person doing the evening workplace audit was, you could
get written up for having the city phonebook on your bookshelf, or a
business card from your dentist.