POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How to extend 2D parametric equation to 3D? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 14:33:53 EDT (-0400)
  How to extend 2D parametric equation to 3D? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Lars R
Subject: How to extend 2D parametric equation to 3D?
Date: 31 Mar 2014 08:04:29
Message: <533959cd@news.povray.org>
I have two functions, I'll call them A(t) and B(t) which renders a nice
curve on the 2D plane via x(t) = A(t), y(t)=B(t).

Now I want to extend them to a surface in 3D space:

x(u,v) = /* a simple term that combines A and B somehow */
y(u,v) = /* another term with these functions */
z(u,v) = /* a 3rd term */

Do you have some ideas for "nice" combinations that might result in
interesting surfaces?

I'll try to render them as povray UV patch and post the images. :-)

Lars R.

Post a reply to this message

> x(u,v) = /* a simple term that combines A and B somehow */
> y(u,v) = /* another term with these functions */
> z(u,v) = /* a 3rd term */
>
> Do you have some ideas for "nice" combinations that might result in
> interesting surfaces?

Without knowing what A and B actually are, it's difficult to suggest
what might look nice. This might work:

x = A(u)*sin(v)
y = B(u)*sin(v)
z = cos(v)

Terms like A(B(u)) might also be interesting?

Post a reply to this message