POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How to extend 2D parametric equation to 3D? : Re: How to extend 2D parametric equation to 3D? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 12:38:07 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How to extend 2D parametric equation to 3D?
From: Lars R
Date: 31 Mar 2014 10:08:49
Message: <533976f1$1@news.povray.org>
On 03/31/2014 03:39 PM, scott wrote:>> x(u,v) = /* a simple term that
combines A and B somehow */
>> y(u,v) = /* another term with these functions */
>> z(u,v) = /* a 3rd term */
>>
>> Do you have some ideas for "nice" combinations that might result in
>> interesting surfaces?
>
> Without knowing what A and B actually are, it's difficult to suggest
> what might look nice. This might work:

Okay, you're right. I just thought there are some "common approaches" to
do so, regardless of the functions A and B.

I found something interesting:

  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Superformula

there is also a 3D extension that only maps the 2D figure to a sphere.
It looks nice, but not sooo interesting, I think.

The Fresnel integrals S(t), C(t) give the Euler spiral in 2D. I'd like
to have it in 3D, somehow. :-)

> Terms like A(B(u)) might also be interesting?

I'll try it.

Lars R.