POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Use cases for the new fancy user interface "Dizmo"? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 10:14:21 EDT (-0400)
  Use cases for the new fancy user interface "Dizmo"? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Urs Holzer
Subject: Use cases for the new fancy user interface "Dizmo"?
Date: 2 Mar 2014 12:26:09
Message: <531369b1$1@news.povray.org>
Hi together

A small startup is working on a new user interface called Dizmo. It runs
HTML/JavaScript applications called Dizmos. They are displayed in windows
that can be freely placed and rotated on the display. In fact, their
interface does not assume that the display has "up" and "down" at all.
Also, it is optimized for several users working at the same time on the
same display. It is supposed to work well with touch and various pointing
devices.

I am still collecting ideas for use-cases of this interface.

For example, I think it would come in handy in combination with an actual
PC: Imagine it to be integrated into an office table. You could have ready
the POV-Ray documentation on the side of your keyboard at all times, while
using a normal PC to write your scenes. Also, while working on other stuff,
a Dizmo could show you the rendering progress without taking up precious
space on your main screen.

Also, wouldn't it be fancy to shuffle around your own rendered images like
in in the movie "minority report"? Or maybe allow your visitors to do so
by having a large screen with dizmo in your living room?

Do you have any further ideas related or not related to POV-Ray? I really
like to hear any opinions about the usefulness of their software.

Greetings
Urs

[1]:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/114216817/dizmo-a-new-revolutionary-user-interface

Post a reply to this message

> A small startup is working on a new user interface called Dizmo. It runs
> HTML/JavaScript applications called Dizmos. They are displayed in windows
> that can be freely placed and rotated on the display. In fact, their
> interface does not assume that the display has "up" and "down" at all.
> Also, it is optimized for several users working at the same time on the
> same display. It is supposed to work well with touch and various pointing
> devices.

Several users working on the same display implies the display should be
quite large (>30" diagonal). Arbitrarily rotated windows implies you
need a very high pixel density to avoid visible aliasing. Seems like
this would work really well once we have 8Kx4K UHD TVs :-)

Post a reply to this message

> need a very high pixel density to avoid visible aliasing.

It's called "vector graphics". ;-)

Post a reply to this message

>> need a very high pixel density to avoid visible aliasing.
>
> It's called "vector graphics". ;-)

In fact, displays that actually work with vector graphics (see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_display) instead of pixels indeed
existed at some point: Instead of scanning line by line with a cathode
ray you can also scan arbitrary lines.

Post a reply to this message

>> A small startup is working on a new user interface called Dizmo. It
>> runs HTML/JavaScript applications called Dizmos. They are displayed
>> in windows that can be freely placed and rotated on the display.
>> [...]
>
> Several users working on the same display implies the display should
> be quite large (>30" diagonal). Arbitrarily rotated windows implies
> you need a very high pixel density to avoid visible aliasing. Seems
> like this would work really well once we have 8Kx4K UHD TVs :-)

Dizmo is indeed exploring the limits of available hardware. Maybe it is
the first use case of these TVs with ridiculously high resolution. After
all, who has the bandwith to transmit a TV show in that resolution? It
would also be interesting to see how current consumer graphics cards
cope with such a configuration.

Post a reply to this message