POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:31:44 EDT (-0400)
  should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents (Message 96 to 105 of 125)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
Date: 23 Jan 2014 08:07:41
Message: <52e1141d$1@news.povray.org>
Am 23.01.2014 11:23, schrieb Stephen:
> andrel <byt### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>>
>>> What would you call someone who has faith that there is no god?
>> an atheist
>>> Maybe not faith but sincerely hopes that there is not one.
>>
>> a criminal
>>

> Not as much of a criminal as someone who starts a sentence with a lower case
> letter. :-P

... or someone who calls an article and a noun a sentence, for that
matter. :-P

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 23 Jan 2014 08:30:01
Message: <web.52e118bb1e4353f37d8c6e9c0@news.povray.org>

> As I said, "sincerely hopes" to me implies that the person is also
> sincerely worried that he/she might be wrong. Which in turn implies that
> the person considers it more than just a theoretic possibility. If
> that's not what you meant, then what I wrote doesn't apply.

I can see your reasoning. It is not what I meant.
Can you have "Faith" without a belief in a god?

> >> Probably a promising approach if he wants to acquire some psychological
> >> ailment or another. Or a sign that he already has.
> >
> > Ah! That reads "If you do not agree with <insert whatever here> then you are mad
> > or twisted." But I am sure that you did not mean that. **
>
> No, indeed not. More like: "Being genuinely afraid of any supreme being
> you suspect to exist may lead to severe depression, fear disorder,
> and/or other psycho stuff you don't want." And: "It may itself be an
> expression of some earlier psychological trauma."

Okay. A better fit for me would be:
Being afraid that a supreme does exist. Is cause for depression and/or other
psycho stuff.

What would really depress me is if reincarnation was real.
Once is enough. I have the "I have been born and lived on Earth and all I got
was this lousy T-shirt." T-Shirt.

> > ** What is so great about being "normal" anyway?
>
> Nothing. Everyone's got some mental quirks;

Thus spake thee. I am normal, perfectly, normally normal. ;-)

> being "normal" just means hiding them.

True. :-)

>(Which, by the way, is a promising approach for developing
> them into full-fledged ailments.)

Yes and no. Sometimes keeping things under control is good.

Post a reply to this message

>>> ** What is so great about being "normal" anyway?
>>
>> Nothing. Everyone's got some mental quirks;
>
> Thus spake thee. I am normal, perfectly, normally normal. ;-)
>
>> being "normal" just means hiding them.
>
> True. :-)
>
>> (Which, by the way, is a promising approach for developing
>> them into full-fledged ailments.)
>
> Yes and no. Sometimes keeping things under control is good.

I think not hiding one's quirks sometimes actually makes it easier to
keep things under control.

But of course there are situations where social pressure demands that
you keep your quirks to yourself; and I think that's the type of
situations that, when too frequent, may turn our quirks into something
worse.

Post a reply to this message

> >> (Which, by the way, is a promising approach for developing
> >> them into full-fledged ailments.)
> >
> > Yes and no. Sometimes keeping things under control is good.
>
> I think not hiding one's quirks sometimes actually makes it easier to
> keep things under control.

I agree, Be true to your self(ish) ;-)

> But of course there are situations where social pressure demands that
> you keep your quirks to yourself; and I think that's the type of
> situations that, when too frequent, may turn our quirks into something
> worse.

I will not argue with that. But...

I find that the public expression of certain emotions might be harmful to
people.
I come from a society where happy feelings were shared but sad ones or grief
were kept to yourself (close friends and family excepted). Not only do I not
understand the demand for "closure" but I am sure that in the majority of cases
it is harmful to brood on the bad things that have happened. Of course there are
exceptions and not everyone is the same. But it does not seem healthy to me.

Post a reply to this message