POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: Stephen
Date: 23 Jan 2014 08:30:01
Message: <web.52e118bb1e4353f37d8c6e9c0@news.povray.org>

> As I said, "sincerely hopes" to me implies that the person is also
> sincerely worried that he/she might be wrong. Which in turn implies that
> the person considers it more than just a theoretic possibility. If
> that's not what you meant, then what I wrote doesn't apply.

I can see your reasoning. It is not what I meant.
Can you have "Faith" without a belief in a god?

> >> Probably a promising approach if he wants to acquire some psychological
> >> ailment or another. Or a sign that he already has.
> >
> > Ah! That reads "If you do not agree with <insert whatever here> then you are mad
> > or twisted." But I am sure that you did not mean that. **
>
> No, indeed not. More like: "Being genuinely afraid of any supreme being
> you suspect to exist may lead to severe depression, fear disorder,
> and/or other psycho stuff you don't want." And: "It may itself be an
> expression of some earlier psychological trauma."

Okay. A better fit for me would be:
Being afraid that a supreme does exist. Is cause for depression and/or other
psycho stuff.

What would really depress me is if reincarnation was real.
Once is enough. I have the "I have been born and lived on Earth and all I got
was this lousy T-shirt." T-Shirt.

> > ** What is so great about being "normal" anyway?
>
> Nothing. Everyone's got some mental quirks;

Thus spake thee. I am normal, perfectly, normally normal. ;-)

> being "normal" just means hiding them.

True. :-)

>(Which, by the way, is a promising approach for developing
> them into full-fledged ailments.)

Yes and no. Sometimes keeping things under control is good.