POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:22:37 EDT (-0400)
  should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents (Message 36 to 45 of 125)
From: Warp
Subject: Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
Date: 19 Jan 2014 17:22:17
Message: <52dc5019@news.povray.org>
> I personally do believe in the existence of a supreme something - and at
> the same time I do believe that "the only entirely rational stance
> towards a supreme being is that of an /agnostic/", so it may come to you
> as no big surprise that I would classify myself as an agnostic.

The test whether you are an atheist or a theist is rather simple:

Would you say "I believe that a (theistic) god exists"?

> > The common claim "I'm not an atheist, I'm an agnostic" is an oxymoron.
> > It's like saying "I'm not European, I'm Finnish."

> That's nonsense, because all Finnish are European, but not all agnostics
> are atheists.

I was talking about the *colloquial* usage of the term "agnostic", which
invariably means "I don't have a stance in one way or another on the
subject of whether a god exists."

(In philosophy "agnosticism" means something different, as I described
in my previous post.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message