POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents : Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:24:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: should-see for both evolution skeptics and adherents
From: clipka
Date: 19 Jan 2014 19:20:07
Message: <52dc6bb7$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.01.2014 23:08, schrieb andrel:

> I don't think I could base a morality on an agnostic point of view, so I
> stick to being an atheist if you don't mind.

I actually find it pretty easy:

* I can't tell for sure whether there is a supreme something or not, or
what its nature is, and I suspect that it is impossible to known for
sure. Therefore, whatever my personal current belief on this matter may
be, it may be wrong.

something, nor try to prove what its nature is, neither to yourself nor
to anyone else.

believe in a supreme something or not, or what they believe its nature
to be.

fear ponder alone or discuss in groups whether there is a supreme
something or not, or what its nature is, within the limits imposed by

fear follow any rules they derive from their personal and current belief
re the supreme something's existence or nature, within the limits

I think these few rules, derived from what I consider the essence of the
agnostic point of view, make for a formidable set of fundamental ethics.

currently think the supreme something's nature is:

* I believe (even though I can't prove it) that there is a supreme
something; I believe (even though I can't prove it) that hints about its
nature can be found scattered among all world views and all throughout
the universe, including science; I believe (even though I can't prove
it) that its nature is very witty and humorous, very forgiving (to such
an extent that the word is actually meaningless, because there is
nothing to forgive in the first place), and very benevolent.

humorous, forgiving and benevolent, and leave the rest.

Pretty much everything else in terms of moral springs from the
"commandment" to be forgiving and benevolent.