POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Mensa: a table (Latin) Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:36:59 EDT (-0400)
  Mensa: a table (Latin) (Message 41 to 50 of 140)
From: andrel
Subject: Re: Mensa: a table (Latin)
Date: 15 Jan 2014 18:07:46
Message: <52D714AF.4080508@gmail.com>
On 15-1-2014 21:36, Nekar Xenos wrote:
> On Wed, 15 Jan 2014 08:50:58 +0200, Doctor John <j.g### [at] gmailcom>
> wrote:
>
>> On 15/01/14 05:48, Sherry K. Shaw wrote:
>
>>> Silly me...I thought it was about being able to walk into a room full of
>>> people and have a conversation with some of them, without having to stop
>>> and explain what I just said every couple of sentences.  Or, just
>>> possibly, without having to face the sullen, cowlike stares of people
>>> who assume that women cannot possibly be very bright.
>>
>> Hi, Sherry. Long time, no see.
>> Unfortunately, there appear to be a few unreconstructed chauvinists on
>> the group atm.
>
> I think Gail left this group for the same reason...

I wasn't aware of that :( That would be a pity, because off-topic should
be a place for as diverse a set of views as possible. I wouldn't know
how you can have a broad conversation without women. Although I am also
sometimes away for several days, because I do not always feel at home
here anymore.

On women and computers. If I look at the people that I meet in that
field, the majority are men and the majority of those with interesting
views and knowledge and competence are women.
IME something has significantly changed over the last decade.
Is that because I am in the medical field or is that true also in the
rest of the world?

There are still too many men in the field with the 'right' attitude but
no significant skills. And that is especially true for the more
management type of jobs. The qualified women are often just below that
level and also often on a level below their abilities. (it is one of the
reasons for the 'her' in my sig)

	Andrel

--
Everytime the IT department forbids something that a researcher deems
necessary for her work there will be another hole in the firewall.

Post a reply to this message