POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is Gail when you need her? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:16:06 EDT (-0400)
  Where is Gail when you need her? (Message 1 to 10 of 23)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Where is Gail when you need her?
Date: 5 Jan 2014 15:25:40
Message: <52c9bfc4@news.povray.org>
I am, as I have said several times to Stephen, not a database person.
However, I seem to have got lumbered with a (non-paying) job; to whit,
the design of a database to document 13th and 14th century bank
transactions using their surviving ledgers.

Originally, I thought a flat file would be sufficient but the more I
think about it the more I'm convinced I was wrong. I attach a very small
png that shows my current thinking.

To explain: each banking family (Gallerani, Borromei etc) has several
branches (London, Paris, Bruges ...). Each branch has several ledgers
(numbered by series) and every ledger contains several hundred items
containing details of transactions. Transaction1 is the initial approach
by the Actor to the branch and Transaction2 is the future outcome
(either payment to the same or a different actor and at the same or a
different bank/branch).

Ignoring the complexities of writing the code to view, manipulate and
play with the database, does this look sane to you? (BTW Solid lines
indicate Identifying Relationships and broken lines in Non-Identifying
Relationships)

John
--
Protect the Earth