POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Any Raspberry Pi users here? Server Time
28 Jul 2024 16:17:13 EDT (-0400)
  Any Raspberry Pi users here? (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Any Raspberry Pi users here?
Date: 28 Dec 2013 16:32:58
Message: <52bf438a$1@news.povray.org>
I'm considering the purchase of a kit - including case, power supply, wifi
adapter, and possibly a wireless keyboard.  Oh, and the board itself (the
model b).

Wondering if anyone has seen any good deals for those in the US?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

> I'm considering the purchase of a kit - including case, power supply, wifi
> adapter, and possibly a wireless keyboard.  Oh, and the board itself (the
> model b).
>
> Wondering if anyone has seen any good deals for those in the US?
>
> Jim

...and that will bring the total number of machines in your house to how
many? ;-)

I'm up to 6 (not counting the Feegle's box or tablets) as I write; if I
go ahead with the purchase of the DNUK machine (at 2.2K GBP) I'm
considering, it will be 7.

John
--
Protect the Earth
It was not given to you by your parents

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Dec 2013 17:36:15
Message: <52bf525f@news.povray.org>
On Sat, 28 Dec 2013 21:53:21 +0000, Doctor John wrote:

> On 28/12/13 21:32, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I'm considering the purchase of a kit - including case, power supply,
>> wifi adapter, and possibly a wireless keyboard.  Oh, and the board
>> itself (the model b).
>>
>> Wondering if anyone has seen any good deals for those in the US?
>>
>> Jim
>>
> ...and that will bring the total number of machines in your house to how
> many? ;-)

Depends on what you consider a "machine."

We have:

 2 laptops
 2 desktops
 1 server (being replaced with one of the desktops - it's an older 32-bit
system)
 1 PS3
 2 Android phones
 1 Android tablet
 2 Android-based eReaders

Oh, and an old desktop that's headed to the recyclers. :)

The RPi is probably going to end up being a media server - I can't stream
Spotify to the Playstation, and the RPi with Mopity can stream it to the
stereo without turning the projector on. :)  But it'll also be used to
play videos without using the PS3 as a DLNA client, freeing up some
memory on the desktop that hosts the DLNA server, as the transcoding
engines have been giving me some trouble lately. :)

> I'm up to 6 (not counting the Feegle's box or tablets) as I write; if I
> go ahead with the purchase of the DNUK machine (at 2.2K GBP) I'm
> considering, it will be 7.

I guess we're at 11 if you count the Android devices.  That doesn't count
virtual machines that I use regularly, either. :)

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 28 Dec 2013 20:44:08
Message: <52bf7e68@news.povray.org>
Am 28.12.2013 22:32, schrieb Jim Henderson:
> I'm considering the purchase of a kit - including case, power supply, wifi
> adapter, and possibly a wireless keyboard.  Oh, and the board itself (the
> model b).

Speaking of the Pi, I've heard that some commercial mathematics package
will be made available for free specifically on the Pi. I think it was
Mathematica.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 29 Dec 2013 14:32:11
Message: <52c078bb$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 02:44:07 +0100, clipka wrote:

> Am 28.12.2013 22:32, schrieb Jim Henderson:
>> I'm considering the purchase of a kit - including case, power supply,
>> wifi adapter, and possibly a wireless keyboard.  Oh, and the board
>> itself (the model b).
>
> Speaking of the Pi, I've heard that some commercial mathematics package
> will be made available for free specifically on the Pi. I think it was
> Mathematica.

Cool!

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: scott
Date: 2 Jan 2014 03:34:41
Message: <52c524a1$1@news.povray.org>
> I'm considering the purchase of a kit - including case, power supply, wifi
> adapter, and possibly a wireless keyboard.  Oh, and the board itself (the
> model b).

I didn't have any luck finding a wifi dongle that would work reliably on
the OS's I was using, so in the end I bought one of these:

http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?model=TL-WR702N

It's powered by USB and has an RJ-45 connector, so as far as the pi is
concerned it's hard wired to the router. The box has also come in useful
several times for other devices without wifi.

Also, a powered USB hub is useful, I found it powers the pi by the USB
link so you won't need a separate PSU for the pi.

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 2 Jan 2014 13:10:16
Message: <52c5ab88@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 02 Jan 2014 08:34:40 +0000, scott wrote:

>> I'm considering the purchase of a kit - including case, power supply,
>> wifi adapter, and possibly a wireless keyboard.  Oh, and the board
>> itself (the model b).
>
> I didn't have any luck finding a wifi dongle that would work reliably on
> the OS's I was using, so in the end I bought one of these:
>
> http://uk.tp-link.com/products/details/?model=TL-WR702N
>
> It's powered by USB and has an RJ-45 connector, so as far as the pi is
> concerned it's hard wired to the router. The box has also come in useful
> several times for other devices without wifi.
>
> Also, a powered USB hub is useful, I found it powers the pi by the USB
> link so you won't need a separate PSU for the pi.

Good tips - I ended up ordering the CanaKit Ultimate kit, which includes
a wifi dongle, so I'll be sure to report back on how it works.  It ended
up being cheaper getting it with the breadboard than getting the starter
kit, because the ultimate kit was available with free Prime shipping on
Amazon, but the Starter kit was $13 shipping.

It's supposed to be here later today. :)

Jim