POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Assessment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:30:36 EDT (-0400)
  Assessment (Message 25 to 34 of 64)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Assessment
Date: 13 Nov 2013 19:38:25
Message: <52841b81$1@news.povray.org>
On 13/11/2013 11:52 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 13 Nov 2013 22:14:00 +0000, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>
>> If it were noticed that I was only pretending to work, I'd probably be
>> fired on the spot. That doesn't mean that my work is critical to meeting
>> deadlines - it's just that, why would you pay somebody to do nothing?
>
> They actually hired you to do a job, and you're doing it - so as a self-
> assessment, you need to talk about how you're doing the job they're
> paying you to do.
>
> You're still relatively new to the organization, so it's entirely
> possible that your tasks to date haven't been mission-critical deadline
> items, but you need to talk about them in the assessment, certainly.
> Getting things done earns you more responsibility, more visibility, and
> ultimately (it's generally hoped) more pay.
>
> So look at this another way - they interviewed you, hired you, and seem
> to be happy with the job you're doing, right?  So don't tell them they're
> stupid by saying that what you do doesn't matter.

Jim is perfectly right. He comes from a culture that, we in Britain are
drifting to, like a boat in a whirlpool.
Think about it like a justification for your job.  You either play the
game or opt out and be expendable. I opted out. For my last assessment I
went into the maintenance supervisor’s office with my trousers over my
arm and said that it was his job not mine to give me an assessment. It
did not go down well. Now I am a contractor and I will never have one
again. I don’t think that you would like the lifestyle, of either.
Blow your own horn because the days that someone else would do it for
you are long gone. :-(

--
Regards
     Stephen