POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:35:14 EDT (-0400)
  Where is the world going? (Message 31 to 40 of 199)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Where is the world going?
Date: 28 Aug 2013 03:39:38
Message: <521da93a$1@news.povray.org>
On 27/08/2013 11:57 PM, clipka wrote:
> As for them not wanting you to use it, what they do want you to use
> nowadays is the PowerShell. Not that I've ever heard of anyone using it
> to solve any scripting tasks though: They either seem to be using .bat
> files for cmd.exe, or asking you to install python.

As somebody who spends all day writing Bash scripts, the old DOS
interpreter seems horrifyingly primitive. (You know how you put command
output into a variable? YOU DON'T!) From what little I've seen
PowerShell gives you all the power of COM, but it's STILL awful to use.

(OK, so if you do a Google search, there is actually a workaround for
grabbing command output in a variable. You can do this:

    foo.exe    > temp.txt
    SET /P VAR < temp.txt

Isn't that intuitive?)

Post a reply to this message