POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:27:54 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 29 Aug 2013 09:50:14
Message: <521f5196@news.povray.org>

>>> You do realise if you get the "desktop" version of Win8 you get the
>>> standard Win7-like desktop too? It's only the "RT" version for low
>>> powered mobile devices that consists solely of the new GUI.
>>>
>> Until 8.1 comes along and restores the "Start" button, you still have to
>> switch to the Lego-block screen to start new apps, unless you have a
>> shortcut on your desktop, which encourages clutter and everyone knows
>> that Windows boot time (and refreshes when you quit a full screen app,
>> such as a game) is proportional to the number of icons on your desktop.
>>
> Umm. Actually, no. I have it on my laptop, and maybe "apps" have that
> problem, but regular applications do have a "desktop" and the normal
> "start menu".

Huh?  Maybe I just didn't get enough coffee, but I'm having problems
understanding what you're trying to say here...

The Start menu is not per application. It's a basic component of
Explorer.  And in Windows 8, they removed it.  If you move your mouse to
the lower left corner of the screen, you switch back to the welcome screen.

And it's causing so much uproar that they anounced that they would be
bringing it back for 8.1.

This has nothing to do with apps or applications.