POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Where is the world going? : Re: Where is the world going? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:20:11 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Where is the world going?
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 29 Aug 2013 09:40:27
Message: <521f4f4b$1@news.povray.org>

>>> Yes, I know, but this DOS is not a real DOS, try to launh a program like
>>> Fractint, it can't run.
>>
>> That's because DOS is a monotasking real-mode OS; applications run under
>> it have complete access to the physical hardware. The command prompt in
>> Windows is merely a DOS-compatible command interpreter. Windows itself
>> is a multitasking protected-mode OS. So a program like FractInt which
>> performs direct hardware access can never work under Windows.
>>
>> You can, however, run it in a virtual machine if you so desire...
>
> Yes, but I remember that MS has developed a multi-task version of DOS. Why MS
> has not implemented this version?

Because it was a joint venture with IBM and at one point they came at
odds with IBM, and IBM took its ball and went home and continued to
develop OS/2 on their own and MS had to start from scratch.

Also, direct hardware access, like what Fractint does would not be
allowed under OS/2 either because if you have more than one process
running, you need to make sure that two processes are not trying to
access the same resource.

By the way, there's a Windows port of Fractint around.