POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:23:37 EDT (-0400)
  Is no-cost software irresponsible? (Message 131 to 140 of 230)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
Date: 9 Aug 2013 18:11:04
Message: <520568f8$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 16:57:30 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> > Says the person who compares giving a vaccine to someone to a
>> > totalitarian regime.
>
>> It is if you go out, grab them, stick them with a needle and pump
>> something in them that they only have your word on being good for them.
>
> You clearly don't even understand what a "totalitarian regime" is.
>
> Or rather, you know what it means, but you are using it in the
> completely wrong way just to attack some idea. Same thing as, for
> example, people calling the occupy wallstreet protesters "anarchists"
> (even though the movement couldn't possibly be more the opposite of
> anarchy.)
>
> By your logic someone robbing someone else is "a totalitarian regime".
> Which makes absolutely no sense.

A totalitarian regime is a regime where the leadership says "you will
submit to us".  That's not /my/ definition, that's the definition from
the Oxford English Dictionary.

So I'll be trusting that definition rather than any bullshit definition
you decide to use.

If you tell someone "we're doing this for your own good", you are talking
down to them and are treating them like a child.  Adults don't do that to
each other.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 23:52:31 +0200, andrel wrote:

> On 9-8-2013 22:57, Warp wrote:
>
>> By your logic someone robbing someone else is "a totalitarian regime".
>> Which makes absolutely no sense.
>
> Ah, it is good to see the great strawman-master at work again.
> Well done.

Indeed.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 16:57:30 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> > Says the person who compares giving a vaccine to someone to a
>> > totalitarian regime.
>
>> It is if you go out, grab them, stick them with a needle and pump
>> something in them that they only have your word on being good for them.
>
> You clearly don't even understand what a "totalitarian regime" is.
>
> Or rather, you know what it means, but you are using it in the
> completely wrong way just to attack some idea. Same thing as, for
> example, people calling the occupy wallstreet protesters "anarchists"
> (even though the movement couldn't possibly be more the opposite of
> anarchy.)
>
> By your logic someone robbing someone else is "a totalitarian regime".
> Which makes absolutely no sense.

Your logic here is "the ends justify the means".  That's a pretty
dangerous ideology, and has been used to justify a /lot/ of pretty bad
behaviour over the years.

So I'll ask the question:  Do you believe that "the ends justify the
means" is always a good argument?  Under what circumstances would you say
that it's a bad argument (assuming the "ends" are always intended to be
good - since you're talking about intent, whether the ends in hindsight
are good or not is irrelevant; you can't predict the ends will always be
good, so we have to go with the "predicted outcome", not the "actual
outcome")?

Jim

Post a reply to this message