POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Is no-cost software irresponsible? : Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:28:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Is no-cost software irresponsible?
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 9 Aug 2013 18:18:38
Message: <52056abe$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 09 Aug 2013 16:57:30 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> > Says the person who compares giving a vaccine to someone to a
>> > totalitarian regime.
>
>> It is if you go out, grab them, stick them with a needle and pump
>> something in them that they only have your word on being good for them.
>
> You clearly don't even understand what a "totalitarian regime" is.
>
> Or rather, you know what it means, but you are using it in the
> completely wrong way just to attack some idea. Same thing as, for
> example, people calling the occupy wallstreet protesters "anarchists"
> (even though the movement couldn't possibly be more the opposite of
> anarchy.)
>
> By your logic someone robbing someone else is "a totalitarian regime".
> Which makes absolutely no sense.

Your logic here is "the ends justify the means".  That's a pretty
dangerous ideology, and has been used to justify a /lot/ of pretty bad
behaviour over the years.

So I'll ask the question:  Do you believe that "the ends justify the
means" is always a good argument?  Under what circumstances would you say
that it's a bad argument (assuming the "ends" are always intended to be
good - since you're talking about intent, whether the ends in hindsight
are good or not is irrelevant; you can't predict the ends will always be
good, so we have to go with the "predicted outcome", not the "actual
outcome")?

Jim