POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Hell has officially frozen over Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:43 EDT (-0400)
  Hell has officially frozen over (Message 11 to 20 of 66)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Hell has officially frozen over
Date: 19 Jul 2013 08:19:14
Message: <51e92ec2$1@news.povray.org>
> I mean
> 39 thou makes it sound as if you know what you are talking about

Unless you say 39 mil, and then just confuse everyone :-)

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 19 Jul 2013 09:03:05
Message: <51e93909$1@news.povray.org>
Am 19.07.2013 09:56, schrieb scott:

> Also inches aren't suited for things the width of a human or smaller,
> which is exactly why you end up using crazy fractions like 3/8, 5/16 and
> 29/32. I bet most people you stopped in the street wouldn't be able to
> add those 3 numbers together (and many probably couldn't even tell you
> the smallest). Or tell you how long it would be if you needed 1000 lots
> of 5/16. Try the same with 8, 9 and 23 mm it's - trivial.

The use of fractions, all by itself, is still on the fun side; just wait
until you have to express longer distances to high precision, as in "2
ft 3 1/4 in".

Post a reply to this message