POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Relocation Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:44 EDT (-0400)
  Relocation (Message 14 to 23 of 53)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Relocation
Date: 10 Apr 2013 03:38:08
Message: <516516e0@news.povray.org>
On 10/04/2013 08:30 AM, scott wrote:
>> Holy hell, I just bought a house. o_O
>
> Congratulations - good move! Did you move closer to work? :-D

I currently live so close to work that almost *everywhere* would be
further away.

The new place is further away from work. It's right near a main road
that cuts diagonally across the MK grid, so it should be quite
fuel-efficient to get to work. Just get on a road and drive in a
straight line until I get there.

It's also further away from my mum, so... ;-)

>> (And now I'm suddenly feeling awfully twitchy about whether my job is as
>> secure as I think it is!)
>
> What's the worst that's going to happen? Even if somehow the company
> goes bankrupt and can't afford to pay you from tomorrow onwards most
> banks are pretty good with giving you a few months leeway to find a new
> job without evicting you. Or to be super-safe just make sure you have
> enough money to pay a few months mortgage without a job.

Heh. Right now I'm trying to make sure I have enough money to *buy* the
place. This is why I'm only buying 30% of it; I just don't have the cash
to buy an entire property.

>  > Heh, thanks. We'll see how this works out... Unfortunately buying a
>  > house isn't like buying a loaf of bread. It's pretty complicated, slow,
>  > and risky.
>
> If you think this is complicated and slow, wait until you have somewhere
> to sell at the same time, *that* is slow :-)

Well, there is that. The current owner apparently wants to sell quickly
for more or less this exact reason. I guess that's why my first offer
was accepted - and why it's so cheap.

>  > I might not actually end up getting this flat. But here's to
>  > hoping...
>
> What stage are you at then? Make sure you keep asking your solicitor
> that you've done and signed all you need to as early as possible, and
> then ask what they're waiting for to move forward.

I made on offer, it has been accepted, and I'm told the property will be
taken off the market. Now I need to have surveys done, appoint a
solicitor, finalise a mortgage application, etc. In other words
EVERYTHING ELSE. So I'm really just at the beginning here...

Post a reply to this message

> It's also further away from my mum, so... ;-)

Never a bad thing - I strategically placed myself with the M25 between
us, and as she refuses to use that road on her own I don't get any
surprise visits :-)

> Well, there is that. The current owner apparently wants to sell quickly
> for more or less this exact reason. I guess that's why my first offer
> was accepted - and why it's so cheap.

I was lucky with both my house purchases that the previous owners
weren't buying anywhere - makes things faster and less reliant on others.

> I made on offer, it has been accepted, and I'm told the property will be
> taken off the market. Now I need to have surveys done, appoint a
> solicitor, finalise a mortgage application, etc. In other words
> EVERYTHING ELSE. So I'm really just at the beginning here...

So you're holding things up at the moment then :-) Get a friend to phone
up to make sure the property is really taken off the market - often the
estate agent will continue showing people round hoping for a better
offer, or to ask you to up your offer.

Post a reply to this message

> So you're holding things up at the moment then :-)

Yeah, pretty much. ;-)

> Get a friend to phone
> up to make sure the property is really taken off the market - often the
> estate agent will continue showing people round hoping for a better
> offer, or to ask you to up your offer.

When I looked yesterday, it was still listed on Zoopla. But I looked
just now, and it appears to have vanished now.

Post a reply to this message