POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Funniest bug ever Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:54 EDT (-0400)
  Funniest bug ever (Message 31 to 40 of 49)
<<< Previous 10 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 9 Messages >>>
From: Warp
Subject: Re: Funniest bug ever
Date: 25 Feb 2013 14:59:22
Message: <512bc299@news.povray.org>
> It's truly terrifying just how much stuff you /can/ do with Bash.

Bah, it doesn't even compare to zsh.

For example zsh's file completion system can be quite awesome sometimes.

For example, suppose there are several files in the current directory,
all of them with +r rights for others, except for one. You start writing
"chmod o+r " and then press tab... and it completes to the only file for
which the command has a changing effect.

Or suppose that there are several files, only one of them is a .pdf, and
you write "acroread " and press tab... and it completes to that .pdf file
(even though there could be many other possibilities.)

Or you are deep inside a directory structure that's version-controlled by
git (the .git directory being far upward in the directory structure).
Among several files in the current directory, there's only one that's not
being tracked by git. You write "git add " and press tab... and you can
guess what happens.

Or you write "mplayer " and press tab, and it lists all possible
completions, including the different protocols that mplayer supports
(such as "cdda://", "dvd://", "http://", "tv://" and so on.)

Or you write "git commit -" and press tab... and it lists all possible
options that could follow.

Well, that's nothing still. You start writing "scp somehost:" and press
tab, zsh will ask for your ssh password for that host, and then will start
completing the remote files...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Mon, 25 Feb 2013 14:59:22 -0500, Warp wrote:

> Well, that's nothing still. You start writing "scp somehost:" and press
> tab, zsh will ask for your ssh password for that host, and then will
> start completing the remote files...

tsch does that as well.

Jim

Post a reply to this message