POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Funniest bug ever : Re: Funniest bug ever Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:32:43 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Funniest bug ever
From: scott
Date: 27 Feb 2013 03:17:23
Message: <512dc113$1@news.povray.org>
> The GUID is so huge that I'd never use that. (And if you ever reformat
> the drive, I believe it'll change.) But *much* more reliable than using
> the disk number, drive letter or similar.

It's 24 hex digits, so yeh a bit long to put in every line. What I do is
do a mountvol to mount the external drive using the GUID to a temp
folder on my C drive, then instruct robocopy to backup to that folder.
It's not ideal (for several reasons) but robocopy doesn't seem to like
paths with the GUID directly.

> When the system starts up, it reads /etc/fstab and mounts everything
> listed there (except entries marked as "noauto").

Yes I've put it in fstab to mount the way I need, which all works fine
so long as I never boot it without the drive connected. If I do, the
entry in fstab stays unchanged (I assume some warning or error is thrown
somewhere), but next time I boot with the drive connected it doesn't
appear as /media/EXTERNAL - I have to manually create that folder and
then reboot (or manually mount it).

I suppose one workaround is to check that folder exists before fstab is
read. You'd also need to check the drive is actually connected though,
and then make that folder. Otherwise I'd end up with the same bug you
had where suddenly /media/EXTERNAL is just a normal folder on the local
storage. I have no idea how to do any of that though.

I miss on the Acorn where you could just reference drives by the name of
the disk in the drive. In windows why can't I rename my external drive
"backup" and then write to "backup:\", it even comes up in the Win7
address bar in explorer...