POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This week's WTF moment Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:15:53 EDT (-0400)
  This week's WTF moment (Message 1 to 10 of 86)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: This week's WTF moment
Date: 8 Jan 2013 13:22:27
Message: <50ec63e3$1@news.povray.org>
http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-13727_7-57562515-263/adobe-releases-creative-suite-2-for-free/

Wow, wait, WTF?

http://www.forbes.com/sites/adriankingsleyhughes/2013/01/07/download-adobe-cs2-applications-for-free/

Oh, I see...

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: This week's WTF moment
Date: 14 Jan 2013 01:15:09
Message: <web.50f3a0f65f80c8e0c2d977c20@news.povray.org>
Here's another story about it...

http://www.itworld.com/consumerization-it/334669/free-adobe-creative-suite-cs2-maybe-maybe-not

Out of curiosity, I followed some links there, and found that all the apps are
still available (as I write this)--and at Adobe's own site!

http://www.adobe.com/downloads/cs2_downloads/index.html

It seems that Adobe had a technical glitch--resulting in the software being made
available for free(!), whether that was intended or not.  Then they did an
about-face and 'clarified' that--but all the software is *still* available(!!),
and without the need for any pre-existing licenses or what-have-you. So who am I
to turn down such a fabulous offer?

This situation reminds me of the old board game MONOPOLY: "Adobe makes error in
your favor, collect free software"  ;-)

I expect some heads to roll at Adobe, over this.

Post a reply to this message

> It seems that Adobe had a technical glitch--resulting in the software being made
> available for free(!), whether that was intended or not.  Then they did an
> about-face and 'clarified' that--but all the software is *still* available(!!),
> and without the need for any pre-existing licenses or what-have-you. So who am I
> to turn down such a fabulous offer?

This *does* seem a pretty special screw-up. I mean, how many seconds
would it take for Adobe to just take down the page while they sort
themselves out? The fact that they have not done so makes it clear (to
me) that nobody really cares about 8-year old software.

Post a reply to this message