POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : This week's WTF moment : Re: This week's WTF moment Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:26:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: This week's WTF moment
From: scott
Date: 14 Jan 2013 12:20:32
Message: <50f43e60$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon 14/01/13 16:14, Warp wrote:
> Kenneth <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> It seems that Adobe had a technical glitch--resulting in the software being made
>> available for free(!), whether that was intended or not.  Then they did an
>> about-face and 'clarified' that--but all the software is *still* available(!!),
>> and without the need for any pre-existing licenses or what-have-you. So who am I
>> to turn down such a fabulous offer?
>
> "Can be downloaded and installed" does not mean "legal".

Adobe will find it very hard to convince a judge/jury that someone
downloading that software from their own site should have known they
needed to already own or buy a license. Unless it states something
obvious when you install it (not just in amongst a million lines of EULA).

It's common practise for software companies to release old versions of
their software for free after a certain amount of time, why would
someone visiting that page think otherwise? The judge would argue that
it would have taken only a few moments to add something like "You must
own a license before downloading" to that page, yet they didn't/haven't.