POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF Server Time
28 Jul 2024 18:24:48 EDT (-0400)
  Today's WTF (Message 1 to 10 of 22)
From: Francois Labreque
Subject: Today's WTF
Date: 13 Dec 2012 09:38:58
Message: <50c9e882$1@news.povray.org>
During a commercial application suite installation:

"Can't access [insert db table name].  Consult
C:\Users\Administrator\Temp\{Long CLSID String}\{Another
CLSID}\Randomlygeneratedfilename.txt for details."

Of course, this is a popup window, so you can't cut and paste the string
anywhere.

WTF #2: there are many CLSID directories under Temp.  Each with two
dozen randomly generated text files with various installation
information messages.  Finding the one with the actual problem took over
an hour.

WTF #3: After talking with the app's customer support, it turns out that
the installer requires 8dot3name to be enabled on the drive because it
can't parse spaces in directory names, and can't use "C:\Program
files\Microsoft SQL Server\osql.exe" but needs
"C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\osql.exe"

At this point, I need to point out that this is the installation of a 64
bit entreprise-grade application that came out two months ago, not some
legacy 16bit app designed for Windows 3.1

Le 13/12/2012 15:38, Francois Labreque a écrit :
> During a commercial application suite installation:
>
> "Can't access [insert db table name].  Consult
> C:\Users\Administrator\Temp\{Long CLSID String}\{Another
> CLSID}\Randomlygeneratedfilename.txt for details."
>
> Of course, this is a popup window, so you can't cut and paste the string
> anywhere.

PrintScreen is your only friend. Then open "Paint", paste and save the
picture/desktop

> WTF #2: there are many CLSID directories under Temp.  Each with two
> dozen randomly generated text files with various installation
> information messages.  Finding the one with the actual problem took over
> an hour.
>
> WTF #3: After talking with the app's customer support, it turns out that
> the installer requires 8dot3name to be enabled on the drive because it
> can't parse spaces in directory names, and can't use "C:\Program
> files\Microsoft SQL Server\osql.exe" but needs
> "C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\osql.exe"
>
> At this point, I need to point out that this is the installation of a 64
> bit entreprise-grade application that came out two months ago, not some
> legacy 16bit app designed for Windows 3.1

I want a refund.
Next question is: would that application be critical for business ?
If yes, pressure the provider to get a modern application supporting a
nearly twenty years old filenaming scheme (NTFS was released on July
1993 on Windows NT 3.1)
If no, revoke any maintenance contract with that firm, stating that not
supporting a twenty years old naming give the firm an outdated look and
broke the expected trust of professional.

Post a reply to this message

> PrintScreen is your only friend. Then open "Paint", paste and save the
> picture/desktop

You left many important steps out. You have to print the picture, then
photograph it with a digital camera, read it into the computer and then
send it to yourself via email as a PDF.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:07:42 -0500, Warp wrote:

> You left many important steps out. You have to print the picture, then
> photograph it with a digital camera, read it into the computer and then
> send it to yourself via email as a PDF.

You forgot the OCR conversion step.

Jim

Post a reply to this message

Le 13/12/2012 17:49, Jim Henderson nous fit lire :
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:07:42 -0500, Warp wrote:
>
>> You left many important steps out. You have to print the picture, then
>> photograph it with a digital camera, read it into the computer and then
>> send it to yourself via email as a PDF.
>
> You forgot the OCR conversion step.

Where is the Fax ? There must be a Fax!

Post a reply to this message

On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:54:33 +0100, Le_Forgeron wrote:

> Le 13/12/2012 17:49, Jim Henderson nous fit lire :
>> On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 10:07:42 -0500, Warp wrote:
>>
>>> You left many important steps out. You have to print the picture, then
>>> photograph it with a digital camera, read it into the computer and
>>> then send it to yourself via email as a PDF.
>>
>> You forgot the OCR conversion step.
>
> Where is the Fax ? There must be a Fax!

Transmission via slow-scan TV, perhaps?

Jim

Post a reply to this message

Le 2012-12-13 09:55, Le_Forgeron a écrit :
> Le 13/12/2012 15:38, Francois Labreque a écrit :
>> During a commercial application suite installation:
>>
>> "Can't access [insert db table name].  Consult
>> C:\Users\Administrator\Temp\{Long CLSID String}\{Another
>> CLSID}\Randomlygeneratedfilename.txt for details."
>>
>> Of course, this is a popup window, so you can't cut and paste the string
>> anywhere.
>>

> PrintScreen is your only friend. Then open "Paint", paste and save the
> picture/desktop

Which doesn't help with pasting the error message in the vendor's online
problem tool.

>> WTF #2: there are many CLSID directories under Temp.  Each with two
>> dozen randomly generated text files with various installation
>> information messages.  Finding the one with the actual problem took over
>> an hour.
>>
>> WTF #3: After talking with the app's customer support, it turns out that
>> the installer requires 8dot3name to be enabled on the drive because it
>> can't parse spaces in directory names, and can't use "C:\Program
>> files\Microsoft SQL Server\osql.exe" but needs
>> "C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\osql.exe"
>>
>> At this point, I need to point out that this is the installation of a 64
>> bit entreprise-grade application that came out two months ago, not some
>> legacy 16bit app designed for Windows 3.1
>
> I want a refund.
> Next question is: would that application be critical for business ?
> If yes, pressure the provider to get a modern application supporting a
> nearly twenty years old filenaming scheme (NTFS was released on July
> 1993 on Windows NT 3.1)

Of course it is critical for business, and it has to be up and running
for tomorrow.

They also say all over their documentation that they don't support space
in filenames under *nix, so it's probably more of a "we can't afford
programmers that are smart enough to deal with spaces." than "we can't
be bothered to fix our old install code".

> If no, revoke any maintenance contract with that firm, stating that not
> supporting a twenty years old naming give the firm an outdated look and
> broke the expected trust of professional.

I'd love to.  Unfortunately, I don't have a say in the matter.  The
decision to go with that product was made quite a few rungs above me on
the corporate ladder.  Also, do you think Alcatel-Lucent gives a rat's
ass that I don't have a very high opinion of their software installation
package?

On 12/13/2012 01:07 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Dec 2012 18:54:33 +0100, Le_Forgeron wrote:

>>> You forgot the OCR conversion step.
>>
>> Where is the Fax ? There must be a Fax!
>
> Transmission via slow-scan TV, perhaps?
>
> Jim

what about a couple of tin cans and a string ... or maybe morse coded
smoke signals. hey don't laugh if tech comes to a screeching halt that
talent /could/ be in high demand ;-)

Post a reply to this message

On 13/12/2012 02:38 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
> During a commercial application suite installation:
>
> "Can't access [insert db table name]. Consult
> C:\Users\Administrator\Temp\{Long CLSID String}\{Another
> CLSID}\Randomlygeneratedfilename.txt for details."

This is TRWTF. Everything else flows from here.

> Of course, this is a popup window, so you can't cut and paste the string
> anywhere.

Naturally.

> WTF #2: there are many CLSID directories under Temp. Each with two dozen
> randomly generated text files with various installation information
> messages. Finding the one with the actual problem took over an hour.

Yeah, but it's the temp folder. It's *expected* to contain lots of temp
files, all with random names. The problem is that this is where the log
file has been hidden, not somewhere you can actually *find* the thing.

> WTF #3: After talking with the app's customer support, it turns out that
> the installer requires 8dot3name to be enabled on the drive because it
> can't parse spaces in directory names, and can't use "C:\Program
> files\Microsoft SQL Server\osql.exe" but needs
> "C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\osql.exe"

...this is also very wonky.

> At this point, I need to point out that this is the installation of a 64
> bit entreprise-grade application that came out two months ago, not some
> legacy 16bit app designed for Windows 3.1

I thought "enterprise-grade application" and "legacy 16-bit app" were
the same thing? ;-)

Post a reply to this message

> On 13/12/2012 02:38 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
>> At this point, I need to point out that this is the installation of a 64
>> bit entreprise-grade application that came out two months ago, not some
>> legacy 16bit app designed for Windows 3.1
>
> I thought "enterprise-grade application" and "legacy 16-bit app" were
> the same thing? ;-)

That, or they're poorly done *nix ports where you have to run some sort
of "Unix shell for Windows" to run all the shell scripts that the
application uses.