POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Today's WTF : Re: Today's WTF Server Time
28 Jul 2024 20:28:17 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Today's WTF
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 13 Dec 2012 09:55:34
Message: <50c9ec66$1@news.povray.org>
Le 13/12/2012 15:38, Francois Labreque a écrit :
> During a commercial application suite installation:
>
> "Can't access [insert db table name].  Consult
> C:\Users\Administrator\Temp\{Long CLSID String}\{Another
> CLSID}\Randomlygeneratedfilename.txt for details."
>
> Of course, this is a popup window, so you can't cut and paste the string
> anywhere.

PrintScreen is your only friend. Then open "Paint", paste and save the
picture/desktop

> WTF #2: there are many CLSID directories under Temp.  Each with two
> dozen randomly generated text files with various installation
> information messages.  Finding the one with the actual problem took over
> an hour.
>
> WTF #3: After talking with the app's customer support, it turns out that
> the installer requires 8dot3name to be enabled on the drive because it
> can't parse spaces in directory names, and can't use "C:\Program
> files\Microsoft SQL Server\osql.exe" but needs
> "C:\PROGRA~1\MICROS~1\osql.exe"
>
> At this point, I need to point out that this is the installation of a 64
> bit entreprise-grade application that came out two months ago, not some
> legacy 16bit app designed for Windows 3.1

I want a refund.
Next question is: would that application be critical for business ?
If yes, pressure the provider to get a modern application supporting a
nearly twenty years old filenaming scheme (NTFS was released on July
1993 on Windows NT 3.1)
If no, revoke any maintenance contract with that firm, stating that not
supporting a twenty years old naming give the firm an outdated look and
broke the expected trust of professional.