POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How is this even possible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:30:47 EDT (-0400)
  How is this even possible? (Message 89 to 98 of 98)
From: John VanSickle
Subject: Re: How is this even possible?
Date: 24 Jan 2013 19:25:36
Message: <5101d100$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/17/2012 11:36 PM, Stephen wrote:
> On 17/12/2012 9:52 PM, clipka wrote:
>>
>> The truth is that they never sought religious tolerance in the first
>> place - they had always strived for their own rules to be law.
>> Unfortunately for them those rules contradicted the Church of England's,
>> so they did suffer from religiously-motivated oppression, and this
>> indeed happened to be the one factor that drove them to America. But
>> that's about it.
>>

> You are correct of course but it is received wisdom that it is true. And
> IMNSHO England was well rid of them. I only wish that they had taken the
> Scottish Presbyterians with them.
>
>> It's an all too common misconception that every person subject to
>> oppression and fighting against it is automatically a warrior for
>> tolerance.
>
> Now that is very true. For an example you only have to look at a certain
> state in the middle East, founded after WWII.

Or for an even better example, the people who claim to be oppressed by them.

Regards,
John

Post a reply to this message

From: John VanSickle
Date: 24 Jan 2013 19:55:54
Message: <5101d81a$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/12/2012 5:21 PM, Kenneth wrote:

> BTW, the new California law that was just passed--legalizing or de-criminalizing
> the possession of marijuana--goes flatly against a seemingly-overarching Federal
> law. It's a current example of this State-vs-Federal system that we have. If no
> one in California challenges it, then I'm *guessing* it will remain valid. I'm
> not sure if the Federal government itself can summarily strike it down simply
> because it differs from the 'higher' law.

The US Constitution does not authorize Congress to ban marijuana[1].
And unless words have no meaning, the Tenth Amendment reserves to the
states those powers which are not reserved to the federal government,
but the courts have generally failed to enforce the Tenth.

Regards,
John
[1] Or to do a whole host of other things that add up to around 80% of
our federal budget.

Post a reply to this message