POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How is this even possible? : Re: How is this even possible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:29:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: How is this even possible?
From: John VanSickle
Date: 24 Jan 2013 20:16:56
Message: <5101dd08$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/12/2012 9:45 AM, Warp wrote:
> Article 6 of the United States constitution says the following:
>
> "[...] but no religious test shall ever be required as a qualification
> to any office or public trust under the United States."
>
> Article 6 of the North Carolina constitution states the following:
>
> "The following persons shall be disqualified for office:
>
> First, any person who shall deny the being of Almighty God. [...]"
>
> The contradiction could not be clearer.
>
> Could someone explain to me how this is *possible*? Does nobody in the
> United States actually enforce the constitution and make sure that the
> member states follow it?

In the Constitution, the term "United States" refers to the federal
government of the United States, and not the government of any single
state underneath it.  When referring to the state governments, the
Constitution employs the term "State" or "the several States."

As an example, the Fourteenth Amendment makes use of specific language
to indicate that it applies to the state governments as well as the
federal government:  "But neither the United States nor any State shall
assume or pay any debt or obligation incurred in aid of insurrection or
rebellion against the United States..."

The phrase "any office or public trust under the United States" means
offices of the *federal* government only, and thus the prohibition on
religious tests applied only to federal offices at the time these were
written.  It is not a prohibition on the state governments.

But as I mentioned before, the provision in the NC state constitution is
a dead letter.  I'm not aware of any court decision upholding it,
certainly not in our lifetimes.  Wikipedia discusses this at some length
here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/North_Carolina_Constitution#Infeasible_Provisions

Regards,
John