POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : How is this even possible? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:33:21 EDT (-0400)
  How is this even possible? (Message 79 to 88 of 98)
From: Stephen
Subject: Re: How is this even possible?
Date: 23 Dec 2012 12:28:48
Message: <50d73f50$1@news.povray.org>
On 23/12/2012 2:20 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> I know what you mean.  Also the idea of being separated from those I like
> who "didn't make the cut" doesn't seem like any sort of reasonable
> paradise.

I don't have to worry on that score. All the people I care for will be
there, passing a big juicy one around.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Henderson
Date: 23 Dec 2012 14:41:37
Message: <50d75e71@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 23 Dec 2012 17:28:48 +0000, Stephen wrote:

> On 23/12/2012 2:20 AM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> I know what you mean.  Also the idea of being separated from those I
>> like who "didn't make the cut" doesn't seem like any sort of reasonable
>> paradise.
>
> I don't have to worry on that score. All the people I care for will be
> there, passing a big juicy one around.

:)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 24 Dec 2012 08:55:33
Message: <50d85ed5$1@news.povray.org>

> On 22/12/2012 8:30 AM, Patrick Elliott wrote:
>> Except, of course, they where not. The only evidence of Semites "in"
>> Egypt, ever, is several hundred years earlier, when they temporarily
>> ruled it, then got their asses kicked out. None of the dates, based on
>> the Bible, line up with any pharaoh that could have done it. There is no
>> evidence of mass famine, the loss of most of the male population of
>> Eqypt (they would have either died in the army, or as "first born"
>> during the plagues), no sign of them being attacked by their enemies
>> during any time period it could have happened, based on the chronology,
>> etc. Worse, there is evidence of his "people" having had settlements,
>> for centuries, in the areas they supposedly wandered only 40 years (and
>> its not even the right 40 years, but like.. again *prior* to the
>> supposed Exodus.
>
> Very interesting, I did not know any of that. You are obviously better
> at research than I am, possibly you have a lower boredom level. ;-)
> Do you have any references as I would like to read them before shooting
> my mouth off.

That's a convoluted way of saying "[Citation needed]".

;)

From: Stephen
Date: 24 Dec 2012 09:45:42
Message: <50d86a96$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/12/2012 1:55 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
> That's a convoluted way of saying "[Citation needed]".

And a politer way too, I think.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Date: 26 Dec 2012 03:37:44
Message: <50dab758@news.povray.org>
Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> I just love how some Americans are trying so hard to rewrite their own
> history and their own constitution.

Btw, I also love how some Americans try to get around the constitution
by playing with words. For example, some argue that Christianity is not
a religion, that it's a "philosophy", and therefore it's completely ok
for the government to promote it. (Yes, this *is* an actual argument that
some make, eg. Bill O'Reilly.)

Yes, who cares about the spirit of the law? Let's twist the letter of the
law so that we can get around it. Let's change the meaning of words so
that they mean something else than was originally intended. If we *call*
things with different words, then we can avoid the restrictions. It's all
about how we name things. Who cares what the *intent* of the constitution
is...

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 03:37:44 -0500, Warp wrote:

> Btw, I also love how some Americans try to get around the constitution
> by playing with words. For example, some argue that Christianity is not
> a religion, that it's a "philosophy", and therefore it's completely ok
> for the government to promote it. (Yes, this *is* an actual argument
> that some make, eg. Bill O'Reilly.)

I find that amusing as well.  But O'Reilly is an ass, plain and simple.
He thinks the tides are magic and proof that God exists ("Tide goes in,
tide goes out - never a miscommunication." - WTF?)

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On 26/12/2012 5:37 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Wed, 26 Dec 2012 03:37:44 -0500, Warp wrote:
>
>> Btw, I also love how some Americans try to get around the constitution
>> by playing with words. For example, some argue that Christianity is not
>> a religion, that it's a "philosophy", and therefore it's completely ok
>> for the government to promote it. (Yes, this *is* an actual argument
>> that some make, eg. Bill O'Reilly.)
>
> I find that amusing as well.  But O'Reilly is an ass, plain and simple.
> He thinks the tides are magic and proof that God exists ("Tide goes in,
> tide goes out - never a miscommunication." - WTF?)

Barnum: Roll up! Roll up! Only a quarter to see the Egress.
O'Reilly: I’ll have two.

I have seen a clip of him. Seriously, “care in the community”, with an ego.

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message