POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reflections on employment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:28:16 EDT (-0400)
  Reflections on employment (Message 44 to 53 of 53)
From: scott
Subject: Re: Reflections on employment
Date: 7 Dec 2012 07:46:39
Message: <50c1e52f$1@news.povray.org>
> The thing is, *nobody* thinks they can just walk in and pretend to know
> how to be a brick layer. Because it's ****ing obvious that it'll take
> the people interviewing you about 11 seconds to figure out that you know
> nothing about anything.

But seriously that is what it was like with the Engineer guy who we
interviewed. After that we decided to always do a very short telephone
interview first (even if they lived round the corner) rather than
wasting several man-hours of interviewing.

> So *why* the hell does this constantly happen in computing?!? >_<

To be fair the guy I mentioned applied directly, the ones through the
agency were always pretty much there. It just strikes me as odd that you
can't find a decent agency to find the right people.

>> Or typing it into the IDE then copying & pasting over, that's what I
>> would probably do, as I pretty much rely on the auto-complete stuff to
>> get code right first time (or even remember the method names correctly).
>
> Yeah, but I'm fairly sure even VS doesn't write entire blocks of code
> for you. Google searching does. ;-)

I meant I would write the block in VS and then coyp&past the whole block
to the browser window.

> I'm currently unsure as to whether we're just not paying the agents
> enough money, or whether there's nobody out there to recruit.

There's always good people out there to recruit, you just need to reach
them (monster or similar is easy nowadays, or a decent agent) and they
must want to work for your company (location, salary, if they are
interested in what you do, etc).

> (As a small company, we have very little money to spend. And the owners
> are the type of people who see job agents as a totally unnecessary
> expense and want to spend the absolute minimum possible on them.)

That's why then. Advertise on monster and ask them a few coding
questions as part of their application on monster (you can set it up to
do that and email you their answers with their cv). Sure some will try
and google it then copy&paste, but you should be creative enough to
think of something that can't be googled.

Post a reply to this message