POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Reflections on employment : Re: Reflections on employment Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:23:59 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Reflections on employment
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 11 Dec 2012 12:08:42
Message: <50c7689a$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 11 Dec 2012 09:48:43 -0500, Francois Labreque wrote:

> Le 2012-12-06 12:32, Jim Henderson a écrit :
>> On Thu, 06 Dec 2012 09:37:04 -0500, Francois Labreque wrote:
>>
>>> That's why I said 10 years for HD.  And besides, digital channels take
>>> the same bandwidth spectrum as analog tv channels.
>>
>> IIRC, in the US at least, digital takes less spectrum.
>>

> I thought analog channels were 6MHz wide as well, but couldn't find any
> actual numbers after a 3.5 nanosecond wiki search.

What I found in a quick search is that it's 6-8 MHz, and while analog and
digital use the same amount of bandwidth (for "legacy reasons"), digital
can have subchannels that analog doesn't.  So perhaps I should have said
that the spectrum used is the same, but the usage is different and
digital can be more efficient in using the bandwidth.

I think I might've been thinking about SSTV in HAM applications, because
I knew there were gaps that could be used for (for example) regular FM
transmissions within the channel's spectrum.

Jim