POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A new record Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:34:11 EDT (-0400)
  A new record (Message 1 to 10 of 23)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: A new record
Date: 26 Sep 2012 09:17:28
Message: <50630068$1@news.povray.org>
So far this lifetime, I've been to two interviews.

This year alone, I equalled that record, attending two interviews so far.

But this morning, I smashed that record by 50%, attending the third
interview in only one year.

This is perhaps not so surprising. What /is/ surprising is that there
seems to be a realistic possibility that they will hire me. It went like
this:

- I applied to work as a Software Developer.

- The company came back and said they really wanted an experienced C#
expert, and I don't fit that. But would I like to interview for a QA
tester instead?

- Obviously, I said yes.

- About half an hour into the interview, the guy concluded that I would
be a /terrible/ fit for the QA job, but that I have very strong
programming skills. (Well, duh.) So he starts interviewing me for the
job I originally applied for in the first place.

Much like the interviews that have gone before, the guy seemed very
impressed with my technical abilities (going as far as to say I probably
know more than him), and deeply worried that I might not be a very good
team player.

There was some discussion about the possibility of some kind of extended
trial period. I don't know if that will sway his decision.

OK, so in reality, he has hundreds more CVs still to wade through.
Obviously somebody else will be a better fit than me. But it's still
refreshing to attend an interview that /doesn't/ feel like a total
failure...

Post a reply to this message

> Much like the interviews that have gone before, the guy seemed very
> impressed with my technical abilities (going as far as to say I probably
> know more than him), and deeply worried that I might not be a very good
> team player.

Hopefully he'll realise then that you're more than capable of picking up
C# quickly and bringing fresh ideas to the company (which someone who
has programmed solely in C# for the last 5 years likely won't have).

> OK, so in reality, he has hundreds more CVs still to wade through.

It's more likely he will decide whether to offer you the job or not
before looking at any more CVs.

Good luck!

Post a reply to this message

> deeply worried that I might not be a very good team player.

the bane of every geek

Post a reply to this message

>> Much like the interviews that have gone before, the guy seemed very
>> impressed with my technical abilities (going as far as to say I probably
>> know more than him), and deeply worried that I might not be a very good
>> team player.
>
> Hopefully he'll realise then that you're more than capable of picking up
> C# quickly and bringing fresh ideas to the company (which someone who
> has programmed solely in C# for the last 5 years likely won't have).

Actually, he said they were specifically looking for a highly
experienced C# developer to come in and tell them what they should be
doing differently. So, the exact opposite of what I am. But hey, we'll
see what they decide...

> Good luck!

Yeah, thanks...

Suffice it to say, I wasn't expecting this interview to go well at all.
In fact, it went just about as well as realistically possible.

Post a reply to this message

>>> Much like the interviews that have gone before, the guy seemed very
>>> impressed with my technical abilities (going as far as to say I probably
>>> know more than him), and deeply worried that I might not be a very good
>>> team player.
>>
>> Hopefully he'll realise then that you're more than capable of picking up
>> C# quickly and bringing fresh ideas to the company (which someone who
>> has programmed solely in C# for the last 5 years likely won't have).
>
> Actually, he said they were specifically looking for a highly
> experienced C# developer to come in and tell them what they should be
> doing differently. So, the exact opposite of what I am. But hey, we'll
> see what they decide...

Sometimes acting as a 3-year old and constantly asking "Why are you
doing this? Why are you doing it that way? Why? Why? Why?" can help them
see areas of possible improvement.

>> Good luck!

Indeed.

> Actually, he said they were specifically looking for a highly
> experienced C# developer to come in and tell them what they should be
> doing differently.

Well he's obviously not looking only for that, otherwise he wouldn't
have spent his time interviewing you after reading your CV.

Post a reply to this message