POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : A new record : Re: A new record Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:16:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A new record
From: Francois Labreque
Date: 5 Oct 2012 09:20:48
Message: <506edeb0$1@news.povray.org>

> On 26/09/2012 02:17 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>> What /is/ surprising is that there
>> seems to be a realistic possibility that they will hire me.
>
> OK, so on Tuesday the guy emailed me to say that he doesn't think I'm a
> "good fit" for the role. But good luck in the future! You know, the
> usual standard message.
>
> The next day, he emails me again and says "hey, actually, there is this
> *other* thing that you might be able to help us with... can I give you a
> call?" So he calls me, and now it seems he wants me to come in for most
> of today.
>
> So right now, I'm just getting ready to leave the house. I'm not exactly
> sure what to expect when I get there. He's talking about me meeting the
> rest of the team, and perhaps the guy who pays the bills (i.e., the guy
> who has to sign off on stuff), and "doing some technical stuff in the
> afternoon".
>
> There are multiple possibilities for why this is happening, most of them
> not mutually-exclusive.
>
> - They thought I was SO AMAZING that they want me back! (Hey, stop
> laughing! :-P )
>
> - They are really short of people, but the department head can't get
> approval to hire even more people, so he's trying to smuggle me in the
> back door.
>
> - The department head thinks I have the right stuff, but didn't think he
> could sell it to the people up top. So I'm being smuggled in.
>
> - The department head thought I was a nice guy, so now he's trying to
> create a temporary post for me to sit in.
>
> - They have no idea whether I'd fit in or not, and they're trying to
> figure that out without actually promising to employ me.
>
> - This is all an elaborate ploy to get me to do useful work for
> drastically less money.
>
> - They just want to fuck with my head. ;-)
>
> If anybody else has any wild conspiracy theories, you can post them here
> for the group's amusement.

They want to harvest your organs and sell them on the black market or as
a food delicacy on Tau Ceti IV.

> As for me, I got almost no sleep last night, and I now look and feel
> like crap. This will surely help my efforts to impress people today.
> I'll let you know how it goes...
>
> PS. On the list of "things to not say during a job interview", I think
> the phrase "one does not simply WALK into Mordor" should probably be
> near the top. Honestly, I have no idea WTF I was thinking... I guess I
> was just nervous. Fortunately, the interviewer thought it was fricking
> hilarious.

Don't worry about it.  The Venn diagram of IT personnel and LOTR fans
almost looks like the Japanese flag.  That was a safe thing to say, and
simply shows you have a sense of humour, even in stresfull situations.