POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Eye Candy Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:16:43 EDT (-0400)
  Eye Candy (Message 10 to 19 of 39)
<<< Previous 9 Messages Goto Latest 10 Messages Next 10 Messages >>>
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Re: Eye Candy
Date: 20 Sep 2012 13:54:07
Message: <505b583f$1@news.povray.org>
On 20/09/2012 05:32 PM, Warp wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
>> I always assumed that "the milky way" was something you could only see
>> with a space-based telescope.
>
> When do you think the name was invented?

I have no idea - it's not something I've ever devoted a lot of thought to.

Post a reply to this message

From: nemesis
Date: 20 Sep 2012 14:05:00
Message: <web.505b599f5c3b5681352a052d0@news.povray.org>
"Stephen" <mcavoys_AT_aolDOT.com> wrote:
> Orchid Win7 v1 <voi### [at] devnull> wrote:
> > Also: In what part of the world are stars actually visible to the naked
> > eye at night?
>
> Years ago I was driving in the bush in Australia. Whan I stopped the car at
> night and looked up. I almost fell over backwards, the sky was so full of stars.
> They looked a solid mass compaired to metropolitan European skys.

my exact reaction too.  You look up and you feel like you're in orbit, not on
Earth anymore.  It's that stunning, at least for us city dwellers...

The sky is a blurry foggy mess in urban centers.  You gotta go to the fields to
enjoy it, specially on moonless nights.

Post a reply to this message

> > Orchid Win7 v1<voi### [at] devnull>  wrote:
> >> I always assumed that "the milky way" was something you could only see
> >> with a space-based telescope.
> >
> > When do you think the name was invented?
>
> I have no idea - it's not something I've ever devoted a lot of thought to.

the old greeks explained that bright white smudge up there by saying it was milk
from the breast of one of the Titans who first created the cosmos.  Thus, milky
way.

Post a reply to this message