POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Move with the times Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:23:29 EDT (-0400)
  Move with the times (Message 1 to 10 of 113)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Move with the times
Date: 2 Sep 2012 10:09:32
Message: <5043689c@news.povray.org>
It's a common belief that old people don't understand computers, and
young people are all computer whizz kids. Certainly it's the case that
my parents could never ever figure out how to program the VHS machine to
actually record stuff at an appointed time, whereas having read the
instructions, I always found this to be pretty easy. (Mind you, I often
had to double-check the instructions; usually these things aren't very
"obvious" without consulting the manual first.)

My dad taught me to program in C64 BASIC. Or rather, he dictated a
program to me, and I'm just the one who typed it in. Later I sat down
and read the C64 manual from cover to cover. (No mean feat for a kid who
was nearly illiterate.) Initially I found it hard figuring out where to
start, and I stayed up until ridiculously late at night on many
occasions trying to get a broken chain of logic to work by repeatedly
hitting it (i.e., tweaking minor trivial details like loop endpoints,
endlessly trying all possible combinations to see if any of them work).
But eventually I learned that when a program doesn't work, the correct
thing to do is to step back and look at what isn't working, why it
doesn't work, and how to make a better design.

We didn't have computers at school. (They /were/ a relatively new
commercial product, after all.) When they eventually got some, it fell
to the school's Religious Education teacher (no, seriously) to "teach us
about computers". I remember them well: a set of RM Nimbus 80186
systems. Each had dual floppy disk drives, and we had a single colour
dot matrix printer to share between them all.

By this point, I had already moved on from BASIC to Pascal, using both
Borland's TurboPascal 5.5 for MS-DOS, and on my Amiga Hi-Speed Pascal
(who's libraries are nearly identical to TurboPascal, despite the rather
different hardware). So say I knew more than the teacher did would be an
understatement.

(I still recall an incident where I said you shouldn't unplug the
printer from one machine and into another while both the printer and the
computers were switched on because it might cause electrical damage. The
teacher told me that the manual warned you not to unplug the printer
while the PC is turned on because it might cause physical damage to the
socket, which is why we always unpluged it from the printer end instead.
WTF?)

I could continue with such anecdotes. Suffice it to say, I've always
been good with computers, computer technology, and modern electronics in
general. And a lot of the other people around me, particularly older
people, haven't been. I guess I felt a certain sense of smugness about that.

These days, I don't feel so smug. In fact, I'm almost beginning to feel
that the next generation is overtaking *me*. o_O

There are several new-fangled things that I really just don't "get".
Allow me to list some examples:

What, in the name of God, is an "app"?

Once upon a time, you had the "operating system", which runs the
machine, and then you had various "application programs" or just
"applications", which address real-world problem domains.

Java gave us "applets", those pointless Tic-Tac-Toe example programs
which are supposed to prove how fantastic and important Java is. But now
the mobile revolution has given us "apps".

Suppose, for example, that you are somehow so stupendously rich that you
can not only afford to /buy/ an iPhone but also to pay the bills for it.
Through mechanisms which I do not really understand at all [Jesus Christ
I feel old!], it is apparently somehow possible to access the Internet
with such a device. (Presumably that's part of why it's so damned
expensive - along with the obvious fact that it's extremely shiny.)

Now, if you're a maths nerd like me, you might know about Wolfram Alpha,
the website where any question, no matter how pointless, can be
submitted to Wolfram's Mathematica software and Wolfram's huge data
repository to try to answer your question. It's a neat idea, although
damned if I can think of a single /useful/ purpose for it. (Especially
since Wolfram seem to be adding more and more restrictions to what you

full copy of Mathematica, after all...)

Anyone, anywhere [except China] can visit this website and ask it
pointless questions. So far, so good.

Here's where it gets weird: For a mere $35, you can buy the "Wolfram
Alpha app" for your iPhone, which lets you access the power of Wolfram
Alpha. Or you could, you know, visit the website for free, like
everybody else is already doing. WTF?

Next up, the "netbook". Now the idea behind this one is pretty simple.
If you want a portable computer, you can buy a laptop. But laptops are
pretty expensive, especially if you want one that's any good. Now
actually, it turns out a lot of people just want something to surf the
Internet with. And you don't actually /need/ an 8-core Intel Sandy
Bridge EP with 8GB triple-channel RAM and a high-end discrete GPU just
to surf the net. Hell, you don't even "really" need an entire OS; just a
web browser.

So - the idea goes - you can buy a netbook instead. It's like a laptop,
but it's usually physically smaller, has web-oriented software that's
simpler to use, has a much lower technical specification, and
consequently is much cheaper than a real laptop. Because, if you just
want to surf, you don't need the higher spec.

That's the theory. The trouble is, as best as I can tell, netbooks /do/
have stripped-down software, lower specification, and smaller size. They
also have EXACTLY THE SAME PRICE as a laptop. (!)

Given that the entire /point/ of a netbook is to be a cheaper
alternative to a laptop for people who don't need the extra power, the
fact that it isn't any cheaper seems like a pretty big deal. Again, WTF?

Then we come to things like Twitter. Actually, before I get into this, I
should probably back up a bit.

There was a long time when I couldn't figure out what the hell the
/point/ of all this "social media" stuff was. This is probably partly
because I don't have any friends. But every such site I got bullied into
joining (required XKCD quote: http://xkcd.com/146/ ) was a complete
waste of time. You create a profile, fill out a bunch of fields, and
that's it. There's nothing to "do" after that.

On top of this, all of these sites were /shockingly/ unreliable and
buggy. I can't even express how useless they were. They just flat-out
DID NOT WORK PROPERLY. I've never seen such a thing from a /website/
before. You would have thought there couldn't be too many things that
could go wrong with a mere web page. You would be wrong, apparently.

And then I joined Facebook. /This/ actually has a point. You can use it
to /talk/ to people. You can arrange meetings. You can share any
interesting photos you might have. You can ask people for opinions, etc.
I'm not the type of person to sit on Facebook all day (I have far more
interesting things to do), but it does at least do /something/ remotely
useful.

Twitter, on the other hand, baffles me. It's, like, this huge Internet
phenomenon. Your corporation is /nothing/ unless it's on Twitter. And
yet... Well, let me put it this way. I once had this conversation with
my dad:

Dad: So what *is* Twitter then?
Me: You know how on Facebook you can post your status?
Dad: Yeah?
Me: THAT'S ALL TWITTER DOES!!
Dad: ...WTF?

Not only that, but the few times I've actually been on Twitter, half the
posts are replies to other people's posts, and there is LITERALLY NO WAY
to find out what they're replies to. (!) Seriously, the most basic, most
immediately obvious thing, the very first thing I tried to do, Twitter
can't do. WTF?

Similar to the Netbook, we have episodic games. The idea, apparently, is
to release smaller games more often for a lower price, rather than
larger games less often for a higher price.

Personally, /all/ of my favourite games have been vast monolithic
adventures. The idea of getting a game in little dribs and drabs is
highly unappealing to me. They say how people are "too busy" now to play
big monolithic games. Then again, "they" also say that any game without
an online multiplayer component is commercially unviable. And then along
comes Skyrim... :-P

(In a similar manner, while I do enjoy watching a good TV series,
nothing compares to a good film. You know, a big monolithic video
experience as opposed to an episodic one.)

Most puzzlingly of all, Valve seem to have mastered the "smaller games"
part, but don't seem to have grasped the "more often" or "cheaper"
parts. WTF?

Since we're here, I might as well ask: the iPad. Sure, I mean, I know
what it /is/, but... why? What is it /for/? Can anyone articulate a
coherent explanation? You can't use it as a phone, you can't easily type
stuff on it, it's too big to easily carry around... so what can you
actually do with the thing? (I agree, it is very, VERY shiny, and that's
cool. But there has to be a bit more than that to justify the
astronomical price tag...)

Post a reply to this message

> I could continue with such anecdotes. Suffice it to say, I've always
> been good with computers, computer technology, and modern electronics in
> general. And a lot of the other people around me, particularly older
> people, haven't been. I guess I felt a certain sense of smugness about that.
>
> These days, I don't feel so smug. In fact, I'm almost beginning to feel
> that the next generation is overtaking *me*. o_O

heh, you can't wait to know how it feels when the 40's are close.

> What, in the name of God, is an "app"?
>
> Once upon a time, you had the "operating system", which runs the
> machine, and then you had various "application programs" or just
> "applications", which address real-world problem domains.
>
> Java gave us "applets", those pointless Tic-Tac-Toe example programs
> which are supposed to prove how fantastic and important Java is. But now
> the mobile revolution has given us "apps".

short for application.  It's an application program running under mobile OSes
such as iOS or Android.

Apple was the one to spread this word, part of its "App Store" which can be read
as either application or apple.

> Suppose, for example, that you are somehow so stupendously rich that you
> can not only afford to /buy/ an iPhone but also to pay the bills for it.

or you can buy a cheap Android which is still miles ahead of older dumbphones.

> Through mechanisms which I do not really understand at all [Jesus Christ
> I feel old!], it is apparently somehow possible to access the Internet
> with such a device. (Presumably that's part of why it's so damned
> expensive - along with the obvious fact that it's extremely shiny.)

they come with a minimodem requiring a 2G/3G/4G chip from cellphone carriers
companies to operate.

> Now, if you're a maths nerd like me, you might know about Wolfram Alpha,
> the website where any question, no matter how pointless, can be
> submitted to Wolfram's Mathematica software and Wolfram's huge data
> repository to try to answer your question. It's a neat idea, although
> damned if I can think of a single /useful/ purpose for it. (Especially
> since Wolfram seem to be adding more and more restrictions to what you

> full copy of Mathematica, after all...)
>
> Anyone, anywhere [except China] can visit this website and ask it
> pointless questions. So far, so good.
>
> Here's where it gets weird: For a mere $35, you can buy the "Wolfram
> Alpha app" for your iPhone, which lets you access the power of Wolfram
> Alpha. Or you could, you know, visit the website for free, like
> everybody else is already doing. WTF?

yes, most "apps" are just stupid conversions of web pages.  You heard it right:
Jobs was the man able to sell people converted web pages for a fee.

that said, there are many apps that do a lot more than just offer a better web
form.  Comics reading, games, apps dealing with maps and GPS info etc.

> That's the theory. The trouble is, as best as I can tell, netbooks /do/
> have stripped-down software, lower specification, and smaller size. They
> also have EXACTLY THE SAME PRICE as a laptop. (!)

no, they're a tad cheaper.  At least when compared to good laptops, not cheapo
breako ones.

> Dad: So what *is* Twitter then?
> Me: You know how on Facebook you can post your status?
> Dad: Yeah?
> Me: THAT'S ALL TWITTER DOES!!
> Dad: ...WTF?

would you be sad if I told you some of my coworkers think it's useful as a news
aggregator of sorts?  Yes, my IT coworkers don't know RSS aggregators.  pretty
sad indeed.

> Not only that, but the few times I've actually been on Twitter, half the
> posts are replies to other people's posts, and there is LITERALLY NO WAY
> to find out what they're replies to. (!) Seriously, the most basic, most
> immediately obvious thing, the very first thing I tried to do, Twitter
> can't do. WTF?

reading twitter is like entering a bird jailhouse full of parrots, all repeating
the same cries over and over.

> Since we're here, I might as well ask: the iPad. Sure, I mean, I know
> what it /is/, but... why? What is it /for/? Can anyone articulate a
> coherent explanation? You can't use it as a phone, you can't easily type
> stuff on it, it's too big to easily carry around... so what can you
> actually do with the thing? (I agree, it is very, VERY shiny, and that's
> cool. But there has to be a bit more than that to justify the
> astronomical price tag...)

I don't dig tablets either.  I picture them either as a big phoneless smartphone
or a keyboardless laptop, both far more useful.  Even taking pictures with it is
silly.  As it stands, it's made only for audio-visual consumption.  Even reading
isn't all that great.

I'll dig them when they come with e-ink screens and a stylus so you can actually
write and draw (and read comfortably).

Post a reply to this message

> I'll dig them when they come with e-ink screens and a stylus so you can actually
> write and draw (and read comfortably).

We have those. They're called Tablet PCs. They were a commercial failure,
but I love mine. :-)

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"