POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Move with the times : Re: Move with the times Server Time
28 Jul 2024 22:28:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Move with the times
From: Warp
Date: 2 Sep 2012 15:13:58
Message: <5043aff6@news.povray.org>
> Since we're here, I might as well ask: the iPad. Sure, I mean, I know
> what it /is/, but... why? What is it /for/? Can anyone articulate a
> coherent explanation? You can't use it as a phone, you can't easily type
> stuff on it, it's too big to easily carry around... so what can you
> actually do with the thing? (I agree, it is very, VERY shiny, and that's
> cool. But there has to be a bit more than that to justify the
> astronomical price tag...)

You can type quite well with the iPad, actually. (The iPhone is a bit more
difficult because it's so small, but it's not very difficult. Heck, there
are people who type faster on an iPhone than you type with a PC keyboard.
And they are using only their thumbs.)

The iPad is a really decent gaming platform, completely on par with the actual
modern portable consoles. There are also tons of utility applications that
you can run on it. (There are several hundreds of thousands of applications
that have been designed explicitly for the iPad. At least some percentage of
them are actually quite good, so there literally are thousands of really good
apps and games for it, most of which are explicitly designed for the big
touchscreen that the device offers.)

You can surf the internet, you can watch movies (watching a movie is as
easy as just bying it on iTunes and playing it), you can read books, you
can check your email, facebook, twitter, whatnot, you can take and edit
photos and video (there are actually pretty decent video editing software
for the iPad). You can even compose music. All these things can be done on a
decent smartphone as well, but the big screen really makes a huge difference,
especially when surfing, playing games or watching movies. (If you have ever
used the internet with a smartphone for some time, and then try it with the
iPad, the smartphone will start feeling *awful* because of the small screen.)

The device is larger than a phone, but smaller than a laptop. If you are
the kind of person who carries a laptop, the iPad wouldn't be a problem
at all.

--
                                                          - Warp