POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google is your friend Server Time
29 Jul 2024 04:25:29 EDT (-0400)
  Google is your friend (Message 11 to 20 of 34)
From: Francois Labreque
Subject: Re: Google is your friend
Date: 1 Sep 2012 09:56:04
Message: <504213f4$1@news.povray.org>

> On 31/08/2012 07:01 PM, Francois Labreque wrote:
>> As one of my teachers used to say: "You don't need to remember all of
>> this stuff [he was talking about various heat transfer differential
>> equations]... You just need to remember in which book you read it!"
>
> Sure. But if you don't even know what the hell a differential equation
> /is/...

Which was the point I was making in the previous paragraph.

From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 2 Sep 2012 15:52:19
Message: <5043b8f3@news.povray.org>
On 29/08/2012 12:08 PM, Invisible wrote:
> OK, so last week I had a call about a possible job in Oxford. That's a
> bit of a long way, but it's shorter than my current commute.

Actually, it turns out it's only 5 miles shorter. On the other hand, I
tried driving over there to see if I could find the place, and even at
3pm almost all of the roads along the route were absolutely wedged
solid. And this isn't even rush hour. It took almost 2 hours to get
there - twice my current commute time. Oh, and once you get there, there
is NO parking anywhere. The ONLY way to park is to use the lame-ass
"park and ride" system.

Clearly I will not be looking at any further jobs in Oxford. The journey
is just insane. I got stuck at one singe junction for 20 minute
straight. This is at 3pm on a Friday afternoon. I hate to imagine what
rush hour is like. (!)

> On Friday, I got a call to say that first I have to pass a test. On
> VB.Net, of all things. So, uh, yeah... That's totally going to work out
> then! :-P

OK, well, the job spec clearly says they're looking for a VB programmer.
I have never done any VB coding (as a cursory glance at my CV will
readily confirm).

Firstly, this raises the interesting question "why the hell are they
even interviewing me?" Especially given how badly I did with the test
they sent. Presumably the purpose of a test is to weed out the people
who are completely unsuitable, so they can concentrate on the people who
show at least a minimal aptitude for the work.

An equally valid question - and one which I fully expect that they will
ask me - is why the /hell/ I'm applying for a VB job when I know nothing
about VB. (!)

The truthful answer, obviously, is that I went through the jobs list and
applied for almost every single job in sight, without really paying much
attention to the action specification. I took this approach under the
(perfectly reasonable and subsequently confirmed) assumption that almost
nobody I applied to would even bother to reply to me. I applied for this
job thinking "what's the worst that can happen?" It turns out, the worst
that can happen is that you get interviewed for a job you're not really
interested in, and not skilled for.

(If this were C#, I would be interested. I can probably learn that
fairly easily. Hell, I've already started. But VB is just a bit too
crappy for my taste...)

None of this is stuff you want to say in a formal interview. So the
question is... what the heck am I going to tell these guys? They're
offering a job that's almost impossible to commute to, coding in a
language I dislike. So why the heck did I apply?

Sometimes I think maybe I'm not really cut out to be a sentient human
being...

Post a reply to this message