POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Google is your friend : Re: Google is your friend Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:13:49 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Google is your friend
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Date: 4 Sep 2012 09:19:10
Message: <5045ffce$1@news.povray.org>
On 02/09/2012 08:52 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> Clearly I will not be looking at any further jobs in Oxford. The journey
> is just insane. I got stuck at one singe junction for 20 minute
> straight. This is at 3pm on a Friday afternoon. I hate to imagine what
> rush hour is like. (!)

Weirdly, at 9:30 in the morning, it's apparently pretty deserted. How odd...

Consequently, I arrived almost an hour early. (Still, arriving almost an
hour late would be way, way worse!)

Surprisingly, the interview actually seemed to go fairly well - although
I doubt they'll be offering me the job anytime soon. And honestly, would
I really /want/ to continue driving nearly 100 miles per day? Plus
they're talking about working 8am to 6pm (rather than the usual 9 to 5),
plus most weekends. On top of that, it's VB... Really, this job has
quite a number of things against it.

Undeniably the /worst/ part, though, was getting home again.

I made the stupid mistake of trying to actually use the "park and ride"
system that the signs scream about every 200 yards or so. The idea is
that instead of driving into Oxford, where there is NO parking ANYWHERE,
instead you park in a giant field several miles outside Oxford, and then
get the bus into Oxford itself.

This part worked just fine. The problem happens when you try to get the
bus BACK to your car! You see, the trouble is, of all the dozens of bus
stops littered around the place, ZERO of them are for buses that go back
to the car park. There are stops for buses going to Banbury, Witney,
Woodstock, Kiddlington, Islip, but NOTHING going to the ****ing car
park! >_<

Consequently, I had to WALK back to my car. (Google Maps informs me that
this is approximately 3 miles.) Perhaps most frustrating of all, a
God-damned SAW several 300 buses go right past me. I just couldn't find
ANY bus stops where the 300 actually stops. Instead, I trudged on and
on, in unbearable summer heat, wearing my best new suit and my shiny
office shoes that gave me blisters. And all because Oxford city council
can't be ****ing bothered to provide a park and ride service that
****ing works!

I have a damned good mind to demand my money back for my return ticket,
since I was clearly unable to actually GET a return trip. :-P

I do not find it funny that I had to walk down the side of a high-speed
4-lane road, being narrowly missed by thundering juggernauts, because of
their stupidity. Even when I GOT to the car park, there's no way of
actually CROSSING the road short of just playing chicken with the
oncoming heavy goods traffic. I could have been killed!