POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Finding a good VM Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:24 EDT (-0400)
  Finding a good VM (Message 1 to 10 of 37)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: Finding a good VM
Date: 27 Aug 2012 06:24:05
Message: <503b4ac5@news.povray.org>
OK, so I'm currently looking for some VM software I can run on my home PC.

At work, I use VMware Workstation. Which works vastly better than
anything else I've seen, but it's expensive. Really expensive. I just

There is VMware Player, of course. That's free. But being free it's also
crippled with all sorts of artificial limitations; no linked clones, no
snapshots, no teams. Basically it lets you run another OS, but without
any of the benefits of a VM.

In the past, I've tried BOCHS and QEMU. The interface is CLI-only. You
have to manually manage all the files involved. You end up having to
write elaborate scripts to fire up a VM. It works, but it's extremely
complicated. Plus this stuff runs very, very slowly.

I also tried Virtual Box. This offers a familiar GUI interface. (And I
particularly like the way each VM has its own window, so you can SEE
multiple VMs at the same time. On the other hand, it lacks activity
lights...) However, there are two main problems with it. The first is
that you still have to manually manage disks and VMs separately. But the
big, big problem is IT'S TOTALLY UNRELIABLE! It just will NOT do what
you tell it to. The number of times it's crashed on me, or a particular
VM has become unusable is utterly unacceptable.

Are there any other VM products with investigating? (Clearly there are
other VM products; I'm asking whether any of them are any good.)

Post a reply to this message

> Are there any other VM products with investigating? (Clearly there are
> other VM products; I'm asking whether any of them are any good.)

Have you tried VirtualBox?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message