POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Finding a good VM : Re: Finding a good VM Server Time
29 Jul 2024 00:24:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Finding a good VM
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Aug 2012 17:15:53
Message: <503be389$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 27 Aug 2012 21:59:13 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> On 27/08/2012 08:42 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> FWIW, I use VirtualBox on Linux pretty much daily, never have stability
>> problems at all.
>
> You never had it pop up and say "This process has performed an illegal
> operation and must be terminated. Do you wish to send an error report"?
> (Oh, well, I guess you wouldn't be seeing a Windows-specific error
> message on Linux... But you get what I'm saying.)

Nope, never.

> You never had a VM working perfectly, and then the next day VirtualBox
> utterly /refuses/ to start that VM? (Like, you click "start", and either
> nothing happens or VirtualBox instantly crashes.)

Nope, never.  I've even had my entire Linux DE crash on me and I've been
able to restart the VM when it came back up.

What version are you running?  Sounds like an old version maybe, or just
that the Windows version is garbage and you should use the Linux
version.  I've had nothing but good luck with the Linux version - enough
so that I stopped using even VMware Player.

> You never had it refuse to delete a snapshot for no defined reason?
> (E.g., you have a VM powered down, you take a snapshot, realise you
> wanted to do something first, go to delete the snapshot you just made,
> and it says "sorry, I can't do that Dave".)

Nope, never had it do that, either.

>> I'm also not sure what you  mean by "manag[ing] disks and VMs
>> separately"
>> - the GUI that I use (which is the default GUI AFAIK) doesn't do that.
>
> When you create a VM, it asks to create a virtual disk. (Which isn't
> surprising; VMware does this also.) But it seems to want to put all the
> VM files in one place, and all the virtual disk files in another place.
> And it asks me if I want to reuse one of my existing disk files. (Why
> would I *ever* want to do that??) And when I delete a VM, this does
> /not/ delete the disk image files with it. I have to manually do that
> from the disk management window.

All of my VMs' disk files are with the configuration, but this actually
makes sense on a couple different levels, because you can do 'linked
cloning', in which case deleting the disk file would affect multiple VMs
(ie, it would break them).  But in the Linux GUI, you do have the option
when deleting a VM to also delete the disk files at the same time if
they're not linked/in use by another VM.

> Maybe the GUI is completely different on Linux or something. But on
> Windows, you can't even edit a snapshot description while the VM it
> belongs to is running. (I can understand, from a technical perspective,
> how that could end up not working. What I can't figure out is why the
> heck nobody has fixed this. It can't be that damned hard...)

That works just fine on Linux.

Jim