POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Preparedness Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:23:41 EDT (-0400)
  Preparedness (Message 93 to 102 of 142)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Analysis
Date: 7 Sep 2012 11:50:00
Message: <504a17a8$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 11:36:35 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:

> Again, "communications" could mean just about anything.
>
> If you mean the 3 people on Earth who design the protocol stacks...
> well,
> those have already been designed. And we already have the 3 people who
> design them.

:headdesk: :headdesk: :headdesk:

Jim

Post a reply to this message

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 7 Sep 2012 13:40:16
Message: <504a3180@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-09-07 11:48, Jim Henderson a écrit :

>>> Bullshit.  I'm presently working with two teams that are knee-deep in
>>> crypto and security work.  Identity management, authentication, etc -
>>> all use that extensively.
>>
>> You're telling me there are more than three people on Earth who actually
>> design ciphers?
>
> crypto/security isn't just about designing ciphers.
>
> And I'm telling you that there are more than 3 people who work with crypto
> and security.

Who else besides Ron Rivest, Adi Shamir and Leonard Adleman?

;)

From: Francois Labreque
Date: 7 Sep 2012 13:41:20
Message: <504a31c0$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2012-09-07 11:50, Jim Henderson a écrit :
> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 11:36:35 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>
>> Again, "communications" could mean just about anything.
>>
>> If you mean the 3 people on Earth who design the protocol stacks...
>> well,
>> those have already been designed. And we already have the 3 people who
>> design them.
>
> :headdesk: :headdesk: :headdesk:
>
> Jim

Indeed.  Johnathan Postel's been dead a while.  This means there's an
opening for Andy.

;)

From: Stephen
Date: 7 Sep 2012 13:46:29
Message: <504a32f5$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/09/2012 12:51 PM, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> Those seem to me like the sort of things that get worked out, once and
> for all, and then maybe changed perhaps twice per decade. Not the sort
> of thing you hire a full time employee for.

The company I'm working for ATM makes about 50 F1 racing engines a year
all of them different. The BOM for each engine may change a dozen times
during the production process.
So, there are more things in heaven and earth than in your philosophy,
Andrew. ;-)

--
Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:41:17 -0400, Francois Labreque wrote:

> Le 2012-09-07 11:50, Jim Henderson a écrit :
>> On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 11:36:35 +0100, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>
>>> Again, "communications" could mean just about anything.
>>>
>>> If you mean the 3 people on Earth who design the protocol stacks...
>>> well,
>>> those have already been designed. And we already have the 3 people who
>>> design them.
>>
>> :headdesk: :headdesk: :headdesk:
>>
>> Jim
>>

> Indeed.  Johnathan Postel's been dead a while.  This means there's an
> opening for Andy.
>
> ;)

LOL

Jim

Post a reply to this message

On Fri, 07 Sep 2012 13:40:13 -0400, Francois Labreque wrote:

>>> You're telling me there are more than three people on Earth who
>>> actually design ciphers?
>>
>> crypto/security isn't just about designing ciphers.
>>
>> And I'm telling you that there are more than 3 people who work with
>> crypto and security.
>>

> Who else besides Ron Rivest, Adi Shamir and Leonard Adleman?
>
> ;)

Well, you and I both know that there's more than just RSA when it comes
to encryption.

And that crypto algorithm research also includes testing - practically
and mathematically - the strength of the existing algorithms and
techniques for breaking the algorithms.  This would include research into
prime number determination as well as looking for other weaknesses in the
algorithms.

And the design of better algorithms, hardware acceleration, and so on.

Then there's the application of crypto to applications, data storage, and
so on.

But of course, you and I don't look at it as "simple".

Jim

Post a reply to this message