POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Preparedness Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:25:28 EDT (-0400)
  Preparedness (Message 123 to 132 of 142)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: Analysis
Date: 9 Sep 2012 00:26:19
Message: <504c1a6b$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/7/2012 7:46, scott wrote:
> nothing is just designed by trial and error.

The handset of classic telephones like this
http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac112/stur5380/Misc%20pics/IMG_0982.jpg
spent 14 months in design research, with hundreds of test subjects.

The arrangement of buttons on a touch-tone phone was one of something like
15 or 18 possible patterns, with people trying out how fast they could dial
numbers and how long they could remember what number they dialed.

Even trivial things like "count to ten" thus take months of research.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "They're the 1-800-#-GORILA of the telecom business."

Post a reply to this message