POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Preparedness : Re: Analysis Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:10:34 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Analysis
From: Darren New
Date: 9 Sep 2012 00:30:10
Message: <504c1b52$1@news.povray.org>
On 9/8/2012 9:30, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
> OK. But does any other company on the planet do that?

Every single other company on the planet does this, or they're not yet
making any money and hence are a bad bet for you to be applying to. It's
fundamental planning. It's what you're *supposed* to be learning to do when
you get an MBA degree.

> I've seen a guy splice fiber. He cut the two ends, put them in a machine,
> and pressed a button. It used a digital microscope to align the ends in
> three dimensions, and then weld them together. Freaky as hell.

Yep, then it tests it and tells him if it worked. And to find the break, you
plug a different machine in, it flashes a laser down the wire, figures out
how long it takes to return after bouncing off the break, and then tells you
where to go to fix it.

Now, how much technical skill do you think it took to design those machines,
and how much technical skill do you think it took to do that work before
those machines were common?

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "They're the 1-800-#-GORILA of the telecom business."