POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Preparedness : Re: Analysis Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:15:22 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Analysis
From: scott
Date: 10 Sep 2012 04:51:05
Message: <504da9f9$1@news.povray.org>
> I take it you don't subscript to "test-driven software development" as a
> methodology either? ;-)

Sure, do tests, but properly design the stuff first (including the
tests). You shouldn't use testing as a substitute for good design.

> I can imagine a lot of design work goes into a brand new product. But if
> you're making a dishwasher, you're not making a brand new product.
> You're making a product which is nearly identical to several hundred
> thousand existing products, but with one or two trivial differences.
> Most of the research has already been done. You just need to
> double-check that your new design doesn't contain any unexpected flaws.

If you just did that most shops wouldn't even stock your new product
because the water and power usage would be far above your competitors.
You think the latest machines are more efficient and better at cleaning
by magic?

You could use the same argument for car engines, just take the previous
one, add a couple of trivial differences and test it. But again nobody
would buy your new car because all your competitors would have spent the
last 5 years designing a far more efficient engine (even if it looks the
same from the outside).