POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lots of statistics Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:29:13 EDT (-0400)
  Lots of statistics (Message 138 to 147 of 177)
From: Darren New
Subject: Re: C#
Date: 19 Aug 2012 12:08:02
Message: <50310f62$1@news.povray.org>
On 8/19/2012 3:13, Orchid Win7 v1 wrote:
>>> You wouldn't be able to do this for arbitrary code.
>>
>> And that's what I'm talking about. If you want your program to run 15
>> years without ever stopping, you pretty much need to be able to replace
>> arbitrary bits of code, including type signatures, while you're running.
>
> And if this was a problem for your application, you would write it in such a
> way as to facilitate doing this.

Except it's exponentially harder if your language doesn't support it.

For example, there's STM for C#. But it's tremendously harder to make it
work, because C# supports arbitrary mutations of variable values. You
*could* make it work, with enough strictures, but it's not worth it.

> (And, again, if somebody wanted this, you could probably come up with a
> Haskell implementation that supports it natively. It's just that nobody has.
> It would take some design work, but I think you could do it without changing
> the language itself.)

See STM on C#.

> Implementing an Erlang interpreter in BBC BASIC would be hellishly
> difficult. Doing it in Haskell wouldn't be all that hard. That's the
> difference.

We're not comparing Haskell to BBC BASIC. The point I'm making is that many
of the decisions in Erlang were made to support this sort of long-running
self-healing software. Yes, you could do the same thing in Haskell, but then
it would look like Erlang. I could do the same thing in C# by writing an
Erlang interpreter in C# and linking in a bunch of C code for the stuff that
C# can't do natively (like reboot the machine it's running on). But that's
not comparing language strengths. That's just asserting they're turing complete.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
   "Oh no! We're out of code juice!"

Post a reply to this message

On 19/08/2012 05:08 PM, Darren New wrote:

>>> And that's what I'm talking about. If you want your program to run 15
>>> years without ever stopping, you pretty much need to be able to replace
>>> arbitrary bits of code, including type signatures, while you're running.
>>
>> And if this was a problem for your application, you would write it in
>> such a way as to facilitate doing this.
>
> Except it's exponentially harder if your language doesn't support it.

No, it isn't.

It's exponentially harder IF YOUR LANGUAGE SUCKS. If you have a powerful
language, then adding new things is quite easy.

> For example, there's STM for C#. But it's tremendously harder to make it
> work, because C# supports arbitrary mutations of variable values. You
> *could* make it work, with enough strictures, but it's not worth it.

Well, no, that should be quite easy: You have a rule that inside a
transaction, you don't try to do anything observable to the outside
world. If you do, it won't work, and it will be your fault. Problem solved.

The trouble is, they tried to make it so that any arbitrary code can be
run in a transaction. That's impossible. Which is why it didn't work.

You might say "but almost all C# code would be disqualified!" But
remember, the purpose of a transaction is /only/ to coordinate threads.
You don't run the entire application inside STM, just the tiny bits
related to synchronisation.

> The point I'm making is that
> many of the decisions in Erlang were made to support this sort of
> long-running self-healing software. Yes, you could do the same thing in
> Haskell, but then it would look like Erlang.

Would it, now?

Adding features for distributed concurrency and hot code replacement
would make Haskell have crap syntax and weak typing?

No, I didn't think so. :-P

You're aware of the prior art on this subject, I assume? You know about
the project where they managed to actually implement typed message
sending and remote code execution? Transparently? Without altering the
Haskell language at all, just the compiler?

Sure, it didn't do /everything/ that Erlang does. It was only a
prototype. But it refutes the whole "it would make Haskell identical to
Erlang" argument.

> I could do the same thing
> in C# by writing an Erlang interpreter in C# and linking in a bunch of C
> code for the stuff that C# can't do natively (like reboot the machine
> it's running on). But that's not comparing language strengths. That's
> just asserting they're turing complete.

Being able to implement something is one thing. Being able to implement
it /easily/ is another. And that's the goal of designing a good
language: to make stuff easy.

Post a reply to this message