POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lots of statistics : Re: C# Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:24:40 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C#
From: clipka
Date: 20 Aug 2012 09:37:33
Message: <50323d9d@news.povray.org>
Am 20.08.2012 13:02, schrieb Invisible:

> The "problems" that I was discussing are not "can I interact with legacy
> systems?" or "have I got good multimedia support?" or "does my toolchain
> support distributed processing well?" Rather, I was talking about
> problems such as "can I express the core application logic in a robust,
> maintainable, bug-free way?"

And here here we are maintaining that how best to express the core
application logic in a robust, maintainable, bug-free way depends on the
type of problem the application is supposed to solve.

If you are tied to a particular language, then for some problems you
WILL end up with writing libraries, metaprogramming tools and the like,
and you're actually no longer programming in that language - you're only
using it as glue code here and there. (Provided you do aim for that
robust, maintainable, bug-free way of expressing stuff of course.)

> Object-oriented programming was supposed to make everything polymorphic
> and wonderful. But then they discovered the container problem, so they
> invented generics. And then they figured out that sometimes, you want
> multiple inheritance. So they invented multiple inheritance, and decided
> to not use it and have "interfaces" instead, for no really defined
> reason. And then they decided that having eight-billion interfaces like
> "Runnable", "ScrollEventListener", "DragEventListener",
> "CheckBoxEventListener" and so on was just stupid. So Eiffel invented
> "agents", C# invented "delegates", and Java offered the "reflection
> API"; all of them different attempts to solve the same language design
> problem.

I think you're getting the order of events somewhat wrong here.

Anyway - at present it looks like function-oriented programming is
supposed to make everything functional and wonderful now. But what
problems will they discover (if they haven't done so already and you
just haven't heard of it yet)? I betcha there will be quite a few and
then some, just like with every other programming paradigm we've had so
far under the sky.