POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Lots of statistics : Re: C# Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:18:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: C#
From: clipka
Date: 21 Aug 2012 06:37:34
Message: <503364ee$1@news.povray.org>
Am 21.08.2012 10:57, schrieb Invisible:

>> But wait... maybe that's why they ARE mainstream after all - because you
>> can mix & match different paradigms with just one language? You know,
>> solve the different parts of the software in the way that's most suited
>> to each one. Get around some problems with one paradigm by offering
>> alternative paradigms to base your software (or module) design on.
>
> I would argue that it's just because they continue the poor design
> choices that came before. Half the complexity in C++ is due to backwards
> compatibility with C. Java and C# just copy the syntax from C++.

Definitely NOT. They do copy the syntax from C (not C++) for the short
imperative snippets, but that's about it.

They also do make some features of their language /look/ akin to similar
C++ features, like C# generics vs. C++ templates. Again, they're totally
different breeds there though. Even exceptions are fundamentally
different, in that both Java and C# require the thrown exception to be
of a special type.

I don't know a single feature of the C++ language (aside from what's
also available in C) that also features in Java and/or C# in the same
way. Well, maybe line comments - but even the C++ line comments also
feature in C99.

>>> I mean, take SQL. It solves only one problem, but it solves it so damned
>>> well that it is basically the /only/ language of its type. And oh look,
>>> it's based on a theoretical model. Funny coincidence, that...
>>
>> Yeah, strange though that they didn't use a functional paradigm for
>> those databases...
>
> Functional programming is a model of computation, but databases don't
> compute anything. They just store stuff. Far more logical to use a model
> of knowledge for that, no?

See?