POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : YouTube Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:18:38 EDT (-0400)
  YouTube (Message 1 to 10 of 33)
From: Orchid Win7 v1
Subject: YouTube
Date: 30 Jul 2012 13:17:54
Message: <5016c1c2$1@news.povray.org>
There is a phase: "I'm on the weird part of YouTube again." It seems
quite apt for what happened to me yesterday night.

OK, so first of all, as none of you are probably aware, Valve have been
producing a whimsical series of videos for Team Fortress 2. The initial
ones were quite tame. For example,

   http://www.teamfortress.com/classes.php?class=heavy#movie

A rather simple affair. But they've been getting more and more
elaborate. For example,

   http://www.teamfortress.com/classes.php?class=spy#movie

There's one for every character class. I've basically stopped playing
TF2 because the game is getting too ridiculous. But I just saw that the
final video, for my favourite class, is now out:

   http://www.teamfortress.com/classes.php?class=pyro#movie

What an anticlimax. *sigh* Oh well...

In other news, I see that the software they used to make all of these is
now available for use:

   http://www.sourcefilmmaker.com/post.php?id=8065&p=1

The short version: Source Film Maker lets you load up assets from any
Source-powered game (e.g., TF2), play the game as normal, record the
action, and then go back and change anything and everything, from the
animation to the camera angles to the special effects. This includes
adding effects which are too slow for real-time, to get a polished look.
(In the case of TF2, there's also an option to load character models
with increased polygon counts. Because Valve have produced and released
those models.)

The long and short of all this is that I ended up hanging around YouTube
trying to find good SFM videos. As you can imagine, /most/ videos on
YouTube are just pathetic. For example,

   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=weMpv14cW9U

Even the ones which aren't obviously short test videos or just utter
silliness aren't very good. It turns out putting together a sequence of
shots so that the audience understands what the hell is going on isn't
very easy. Especially when your star characters can only say "I am
bulletproof!" or "You are not welcome in my world!" or one of a handful
of other pre-recorded lines.

[You can add any audio you want. But then it won't sound like the
in-game characters, of course. Unless you hire the actual guy who did
the voice... Good luck with that!]

So anyway, I'm browsing TF2 videos, when suddenly... I'm watching anime?
I'm not precisely sure how the heck that happened, but there we go. [I
think you all know where this is going now...] Now I'd heard that anime
was strange, but just /how/ strange I hadn't realised. I'll be kind and
hypothesize that only the really weird crap actually ends up on YouTube
or something.

So somehow I end up watching a video consisting of freeze-frame shots of
some girl/women hybrid set to the beat of generic electronic dance
music. (It always slightly creeps me out how anime females are 6 years
old from the neck up and 26 double-D from the neck down...) It wouldn't
surprise me if the images and sound have nothing to do with each other,
but you have to wonder about who the hell drew the images...

Then things take a turn slightly for the worse. We get an unedited
video, I'm not sure from what. Little boy has something that
not-so-little girl wants. [I didn't pick up on what exactly.] Girl
casually lifts up her skirt to reveal fluffy white knickers with pink
polka dots and offers to trade. "Why would I want to see your dirty old
fanny?" asks the boy. The girl flips out with "IT'S NOT DIRTY!!!" She
then calms down and the scene continues as if nothing unusual had just
happened. [At least, it does for the next 6 seconds before the clip
abruptly ends.]

As one commenter wrote, "what the actual fuck, Japan??"

I should probably have stopped clicking things at this point. But I
didn't. Arguably I got what I deserved for my misplaced curiosity.
Because the next video was... you know, somehow "monster gang tentacle
rape" doesn't really convey what my eyes just saw. Neither does "cannot
unsee". Perhaps the most worrying part is the way we go from a perfectly
plausible real-world situation to some kind of nightmarish acid-trip in
just a few split seconds. The first 4 minutes or so looked perfectly
normal. The remaining 5 minutes... not so much.

(I'm still lost as to how the girl escaped the monsters by diving into
the swimming pool, sinking to the bottom, touching her reflection in the
pool bottom, and then her reflection climbing out of the water on some
remote alien planet... Considering she just out-ran two tentacle
monsters holding the mutilated skin-sack of the other girl, the fact
that the pool appears to be over 200 feet deep seems almost
inconsequential by comparison.)

I decided to click on something else. This looked innocuous enough:

   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVk9uTPIfHo

It turns out... no, it really isn't. But I dare you to watch it.

At this point, I got smart. Very smart. I closed Firefox and went
outside for a while. Best decision yet. o_O

Post a reply to this message