POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The search continues Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:31:04 EDT (-0400)
  The search continues (Message 65 to 74 of 104)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: The search continues
Date: 5 Aug 2012 13:47:24
Message: <501eb1ac$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 05 Aug 2012 04:57:21 -0400, Warp wrote:

> Le_Forgeron <jgr### [at] freefr> wrote:
>> You were expected to work double time for free. You are a picky a*****e
>> to have ask a salary.
>
> Technically speaking it's illegal here (and I'm sure in most civilized
> countries) to ask an employee to work extra hours without pay, and it's
> also quite illegal to fire them just because they refuse. Yet it happens
> all the time here.

Not in the US.  Salaried employees are paid for the job, regardless of
the hours it takes to get it done.  Some employers take advantage of
this, and the so-called "at will" employment laws in many US states mean
that the employer can fire an employee at any time for cause - or even no
reason at all.

The laws are very heavily in favor of the employers, with a few notable
exceptions (it's damned near impossible to get a tenured teacher fired
for incompetence, for example).

Jim

Post a reply to this message